Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Transpac may be better for your type of diving. Many divers travel with their Transpac. I would use my old BC for traveling because it folds up flat for travel. Some of us TransPlate divers are in the Northern Pacific Ocean where thicker exposure suits may be required. 48-52F water temps where I am. So the heavier TransPlate to offset the thicker wetsuit. It depends on your type of diving, local conditions, and comfort/performance. I would go put a backplate rig on to see how it feels especially with a tank to compare the stability and comfort. If you can find a Transpac do the same. BP rigs cost from $500-700+. With a BP rig it is 100% upgradeable and customizable. Transpac is also very modular and customizable.

I add no extra weight to my rig. I have a separate weight belt for safety and ease of use. Mine is set-up so I can freedive by taking my Rig off without having to remove any weight from my belt.

The Transpac concept is for hiking and ease of setting up different tank configurations.
Have you seen these videos?
Dive Rite TransPac Videos

The Transpac may be better for your type of diving. Many divers travel with their Transpac. I would use my old BC for traveling because it folds up flat for travel. Some of us TransPlate divers are in the Northern Pacific Ocean where thicker exposure suits may be required. 48-52F water temps where I am. So the heavier TransPlate to offset the thicker wetsuit. It depends on your type of diving, local conditions, and comfort/performance. I would go put a backplate rig on to see how it feels especially with a tank to compare the stability and comfort. If you can find a Transpac do the same. BP rigs cost from $500-700+. With a BP rig it is 100% upgradeable and customizable. Transpac is also very modular and customizable.

I add no extra weight to my rig. I have a separate weight belt for safety and ease of use. Mine is set-up so I can freedive by taking my Rig off without having to remove any weight from my belt.

The Transpac concept is for hiking and ease of setting up different tank configurations.
Have you seen these videos?
Dive Rite TransPac Videos

How does a backplate rig cost $500-700+? I mean, it can be done, but I don't know many who pay that much.

DSS and NESS both have complete rigs for $400, and Golem Gear has sales every year putting them at around $300-350. And used plates (100% as good as new ones) plus a simple hog harness cost WAY less.

It's hard to take up much less space than a simple flat wing and a backplate, when it comes time for travel.

A TransPac weighs less, I'll grant. But Aluminum backplates negate even that small advantage, and cost very little to add.

I recognize the TransPac has it's fans. And if you're hiking long distances in your BC (why?), I'd go with the TP also. But for general cold water diving, especially for someone with an interest in tech diving, I'd go for the backplate as the more versatile rig.

Oh I was thinking Dive Rite when I said $500-700+. This thread is about Dive Rite? Good point CompuDude about pricing. I was presenting IMO what I would do when traveling. I would never even think about packing my BP. I have no intention of diving in colder water than I already do when on vacation. I do not want to bias someone that wanted to discuss Transpac to get the Transplate because I have it. Unless of course I fully understood the person's needs - which I do not. So I try to give the information and tools that may help in making an inform decision for the best equipment for the best diving experience.

As for hiking, my TransPlate with STA and steel tank is one solid unit. When hiking down steep cliff trails to get to the ocean, I do not have to work harder to keep my balance due to the tank shifting around like my BC used to. Also the Transplate/Oxycheq Mach V wing is very streamline - high performance and SPEED!!! Every hunter has their perspective on conserving air, but the pure joy of chasing down your dinner is exhilarating. Except that most fish that I hunt are somewhat territorial and tend to sit in one place daring me to shoot them.

I think the video discussions are very good. But I would stick with a BP for my type of diving - Pacific Ocean Recreational Open Water Diver cold water 48-52F.

I recognize the TransPac has it's fans. And if you're hiking long distances in your BC (why?).
Lots of shore and quarry diving... (some of those hikes'll kill ya...)

Better activity with less bulk and weight.
I'm freediving for abalone this week. No tank, BP. I still need a weight belt though. On Tuesday April 1, I spent over 5 hours along the Mendocino Cliffs just enjoying myself kicking along our coastline with a boogie board to hold my abalone, lunch, and speargun. The visibility, sea conditions and weather is incredible. Sightseeing along the coast - schools of fish, sea stars, sea urchins, sea anemones, snails, crabs, abalones, sharks, plants, sea cucumbers, etc. Just Beautiful.

Time to move to better diving opportunities. :wink:
LOL.... would LOVE to!

(Care to watch my five kids while I sneak off to Palau for a week or three?).

One thing that no one has brought up. The Transpac will go through security easier at the airports. We travel with our gear and carry on our BC's, computers, and regulators. The BP doesn't X-Ray so the TSA have to open up our carry on luggage. Then of course we have to put it all back together.

My 15 year old has the transpac with the Venture wing and it just goes right through security. Also, my son can just snug up his harness. Adjustability, is nice when going from cold to warm water. Both the Transpac and Transplate have a nice harness for adjusting between different thicknesses of exposure suites.

That said, I just ordered an Aluminum plate that I am going to use for warm water destinations. I'll be able to have the harness adjusted for a wetsuit instead of for my drysuit. So, if you can stand all of the buckles and do dads on either the Transplate or Transpac you can do with one what I have to have two to easily do. Although, my extra aluminum plate was only 70 dollars.

Keep us posted on your decision.

DrDuktayp

Just for clarification lets just call the Transplate a BP/W shall we? I enjoy my now 10 year old Transpac for most of my rec/single tank dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom