Inn of Last Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had Jeremy. I was less than impressed with his dive briefings and once underwater, he didn't stop to consult anyone's air consumption...he just swam and swam. After first day I just buddied up with some other folks and went our own way. The icing on the cake was our dive to "Hole In The Wall". They couldn't find a spot to tie off so they said we'd all go off the stern under power and they'd hang around and pick us up. Two of us go off the stern...I'm on the surface waiting for the rest of my dive buddies and the boat just pulls on off several hundred yards and deploys the rest of the divers. I had to book it underwater to catch my group (not happy). Seems they had found the tie-in after all and deployed everyone from there.

BhamFAL and Vicksburg Diver, thanks for the updates. What I'm most curious about: are the boats still leaking oil/fuel?

I can't believe they started dropping you all off via live boat, and then abandoned those of you who'd already jumped in to go tie off at the mooring. Thank god the diving in Roatan is all close to shore. This report is consistent with our experience: namely, that the ILR boat drivers (note, I intentionally don't call them "captains") don't seem to possess the fundamental knowledge that you'd expect from the skipper of a dive boat.

When I was at ILR last year the boat driver was someone who just sailed in the week before and was driving their boat in exchange for room and board. It really seemed that the divemaster was in charge of the trip and told the driver where to go. This is not necessarily bad and our driver certainly handled the boat well (he had driiven for them in the past), but the divemaster seemed to be the one telling him what site to go to, etc.
This was just the impression I got and may or may not be what was actually the case, just the way it seemed from the dynamics between them.

We were on the "Special Lady" and it did leak fuel. The last 2 days were the worst. They did bring in a guy from Florida who ran an Pro 48 and he was top flight. Very sharp guy with good advice. We didn't get to dive with h im though.

I didn't see any O2 on the two boats. I'm sure it was there and I guess I should have asked. Wasn't obvious though. Our driver was nice and helpful but there were instances of FUBAR.

I think there may be a loss of interest during the change of ownership.

A protracted sales process may have resulted in a business that has been in need of some capital reinvestment for some time. I am guessing there will be an extended period of re-investment on the horizon. That doesn't help people who are currently suffering poor service though.

Please don't think this reflective of the entire islands dive operations, many of whom are constantly reinvesting virtually all their profits and offering a first class service.

Regards

Will

The staff was very helpful. My primary beef was our DM. I couldn't have asked for better people in the restaurant and lounge. I kind of got the feeling that we didn't get much flexibility in the dive sites chosen either.

BhamFAL and Vicksburg Diver, thanks for the updates. What I'm most curious about: are the boats still leaking oil/fuel?

I can't believe they started dropping you all off via live boat, and then abandoned those of you who'd already jumped in to go tie off at the mooring. Thank god the diving in Roatan is all close to shore. This report is consistent with our experience: namely, that the ILR boat drivers (note, I intentionally don't call them "captains") don't seem to possess the fundamental knowledge that you'd expect from the skipper of a dive boat.

We're just back from two weeks there.

A conditional no on the fuel I did not see anything like the pic ya posted. I did notice a telltale rainbow hue a few times but no worse than what I've seen from most any dive or fishing boat I've been on. They DO need to do something about the exhaust fumes though as with the right combination of seas and wind you can get a lung full in a hurry.

I'll post a follow up in a few days after I get my fish tank sorted out and everything unpacked. Really the only three major mishaps on our vacation was a sinus infection I mostly dove through, my wifes recently serviced regulator coming apart, and the usual bug problem -those sand fleas/flies make me swell up worse than a chigger bite.

Where at the resort did you experience bugs? I didn't get a single bite last year. Maybe just that I didnt spend much time outside, but really didn't notice any.

the usual bug problem -those sand fleas/flies make me swell up worse than a chigger bite.
:007:

Where at the resort did you experience bugs? I didn't get a single bite last year. Maybe just that I didnt spend much time outside, but really didn't notice any.

:rofl3: Take off that drysuit for five minutes, will'ya?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom