Inn of Last Resort, Another Look

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BhamFAL

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I spent March 22 - April 5 there. This is the second time we've gone there. Our trip was far better than the Delphinus group had.....

The Inn:

Upon arrival we met a Inn employee at baggage handling he carried our stuff outside for us and Andy the owner drove us over the Inn. No diving on saturdays at the Inn unless you can talk Howie if he's there on running you out in the small boat.

About meals: Everyone is served the same thing at each meal - there is no 'menu'. You get whatever the cook makes that meal. There is a schedule that is followed so you can bet on a monday you are going to get either a or b. Whatever is coming up next is posted on a white board at the diningroom/bar entrance.

Once settled in the standard meal schedule is breakfast runs 7:00 to 9:00. The menu changes daily but it is the same simple stuff most every day - either eggs/bacon based or pancakes. Every meal comes with a fruit plate. Don't forget to ask for OJ - it was fresh squeezed everyday I was there.

Lunch is something simple and it would be nice if they had a fish sandwich or something in there. We had everything from stew to grilled cheese sandwiches. And of course the fruit plate of melons and pineapple. Usually some sorta desert but nothing special. Check and see if there's any OJ left.....

Dinner is 7:00 to 9:00 Still simple food - not gourmet here by any means. Grilled fish, beef, coconut shrimp, and chicken were all served. You can bet on rice, beans, or potatoes with every meal and usually two of the three.

Lunch and dinner come with bread baked at the inn. I dunno what is missing but the stuff is like war biscuits. Don't get your hopes up about it.

There will be a meal or three that comes along that has stuff you don't want. This is a good time to head for west end or the brick oven pizza place just down the road from the inn. For honduras I'd have to say the pie isn't that bad at all. In west end I recomend Mavis and Dixies (fish sandwich $6.00/chicken quesadilla $3). We also ate at the argentinean grill (large fillet mignon with two sides $15.00 had good french fries there too). Beer in west end runs about $1.50 for a salva vida. At the inn you charge everything at the bar to your room and pay at the end. The inn prices were reasonable IIRC. Ice tea and juice are free. You pay for coke and drinks. Around 6:00pm there's some sorta snack - the onion rings are good when they have them.

The staff at the inn is eager to help and friendly too. I can't say I had any trouble with anyone or anything. When the yoke nut on my wifes recently serviced reg came loose and started leaking Andy the owner gave us his regulators until we could get it fixed. Someone always seemed available to drive us in to west end when we asked. We took a taxi back. They'll want $10.00 but hold out for $6.00 or $2.00 per person whichever is greater. Tip a buck too.

The rooms are one bedroom and a bath with a built in closet/shelf unit. There is a small lockable 'safe' (it's just wood and part of the shelving) for your wallet or whatever. There's three beds a two person and two singles. Every room has some sorta A/C. Walls are thin - tread softly at night. Dive gear is locked in the 'dive shop' each night. There are rinse tanks and a fresh water hose available after every dive. the shop is part of the dock so you don't have to carry your stuff all over the place everyday.

The Dive shop is more of a hut with a compressor room (two compressors one set up for nitrox blending which is available). There is nothing for sale that I saw but they have a ton of weight and rows of aluminum 80's ready to go. Most of the shop is actually just racks to hang your stuff on when not diving. There's also some loaner/rental equipment available. Don't think you're going to go in there and splurge on a new regulator or gadget - there isn't anything there. There's a little gift shop in the bar area where you can get touristy junk if you don't wanna leave the inn. They had twix bars in there if your wife needs a chocolate fix. The computer for internet connection which is quite slow is in there too. There is wireless internet in the main building if you bring a laptop.

The boat/diving:

We dove on the now infamous Special Lady. I observed no major fuel leaks as some other groups have. I did notice a rainbow pattern a few times on the water after start up but nothing I haven't seen from most any other dive boat or fishing charter I have been on. When questioned about it the staff told me they had had a bad fuel injector which had sprayed continuosly for a while. It took four attempts before the proper one was flown in from San Pedro Sula. Frankly a spare injector or two should be kept on site along with filters, lights, and sump pumps. I mention filters 'cause I think the boat was due for an air filter (or a turbo or a fuel rack adjustment) as under heavy throttle there was some black smoke present in the exhaust. They were still having trouble with the sump pumps too as the capt/skipper/driver used the buoy gaff several times to bump float switches. The exhaust on this boat exits at the waterline at the back of the boat between the two stairs. If the boat is running you'll want to keep your regulator in your mouth the whole time you exit the water. If there is a trailing wind the exhaust fumes can be annoying/bothersome/unhealthy too. Head up to the sun deck if this is happening. The exhaust issue is two fold - one it could be deeper in the water. And two the engine could need anything from a simple fuel rack adjustment or air filter to an overhaul. The boat also had a sticking starter solenoid that needed a little persuasion from time to time.

The boat is not fast and sports an african queen sort of look. It is an excellent dive platform however. Between the wide open deck design and the overhead deck there is a ton of room on the thing. The benches have a storage area underneath where booties and fins can go while enroute. There are water tanks by the back for masks and camera gear. Railings on the roof provide a stable grab handle when suited up and a great drying rack for suits between dives. Seven or eight suits hangin' from the roof only adds to the african queen effect though. The speed thing really isn't an issue as after the first dive the limiting factor is surface interval not travel time to the next dive or the dock. There was fresh fruit available on the boat after every dive.

I did NOT see oxygen on the boat. There was a small first aid kit and extinguisher that would be adequate for say an ashtray fire. I wasn't too worried about either. There was no radar or depth finder. I didn't even see a radio come to think of it but there was an antenna. There was always two cell phones on the boat. Standards are different in the 3rd world I reckon. You never get more than 1/2 a mile from shore anyway.

The boat leaves the dock around 8:00 to 8:15 every morning for the first dive. Second dive is around 10:00 and the afternoon dive is around 2:00. First dive is going to usually be farther away. Last dive will be right outside the inn's little harbor of Gibson Bight. First dive will be one of the wrecks (both in 100'+ depths) or a wall dive- you can also count on it being deep....sorta. What happens is you'll plunge over the wall and head down to 100'+ and then slowly work your way along the wall and towards the surface at the same time. About 20 to 25 minutes in you'll be at 40'-30' and turn back for the boat. By the time you get back to the boat your in 15' to 20' water and have been for at least the last 5 minutes. Tool around under the boat in the shallows and burn up your air for your safety stop. If you're completely retentive you can hover under the boat and watch your computer for three minutes. I prefer to look at one of the coral heads myself. If it is a wreck they both just happen to be near some walls that come up into that 20' or so shallow area. You'll dive the wreck and then move to the wall and into the shallows. Second dive will be 80-100' and the third will be 60'-80' repeating the first dives profile - deep to shallow. A computer is a must due to the multi level depths on each dive. I never made it into Deco on my computer. The average dive time was just under an hour. I was usually back on the boat with 800 to 1000psi. 500psi was the magic number while I was there.

We had Jeremy as our DM. He is younger, new, and enthusiastic. You are going to swim/chase as he flies around the reef looking for whatever he can find to show you. You'll hear him banging away for attention whenever he sees something. We saw coral banded shrimp, lobster, king crab, reef crab, scorpion fish, lizard fish, neck crabs, secretary blennies, stingray, remora, sharksucker, seahorse, turtle (most every dive).....shoot what I didn't see - octopus and eagle rays. Before each dive there was a short briefing on where we were going. During the first few dives he'll pester you about air quantity from about a 1/4 of the dive on. He's looking to see how quick you huff air and just how far to go until the turn around point. After a few days he'll have you and the group pegged and will stop asking - maybe once per dive right around the turn point if at all. As soon as he settles in a bit and slows down he'll be a great DM. Be forewarned though you will go deep (which I like anyway) and swim a lot.

As far as dive sites it seemed while we were there that the smaller the group was the more they could choose where to go. Once it got over 6 or so it was the DM's terms.

We also got our nitrox cert while there from Howie. A big thank you and hello to Howie! Capt. Ed is no longer there. The monkeys are gone too. The two birds are still present, don't let them get your keys.

The future:

The inn is being sold, the owner to be was there while we were. Talk while I was there was of a marina/more docking being built, a 'real' dive shop, a pool, better marketing, a deck for the bar, and new dive boats. The pro 48' was still docked there but we never used or needed to use it. It looks cooler but really doesn't offer what the old wood boat does - space and lots of it. There was also a smaller boat present, like maybe an 8 pack size, and it is supposed to be the first of three identical new boats. It was being used for fishing by the new group. It is a flashy sporty looking thing that could be used for diving or deep sea fishing. Frankly it looks like it'll be cramped compared to the old boat.

In conclusion:
Inn of last resort is about diving. You want a gourmet meal and pampered service go and pay for it somewhere else. If you actually know what a budget is and have to follow one then the value for the money is unbeatable. While there is plenty to do on Roatan I go for the diving. And here when the weather is bad on the north side the Inn ferries boat(s) to the south side and drives you over so you can dive while others are stuck in their docks. If only two show up for a dive so be it the boat goes out and you dive. After three dives a day there isn't much more that I want to do than eat, do a night dive (hint, hint), read, drink, and sleep. IF you're single I'd recomend bringing a date. If your dive vacation is as much surface activities as diving.....I dunno. I do know we will be back someday if the new owners don't wreck it.

Excellent review. I was there in February and your comments echo my observations just about 100%. We had a great time and really enjoyed the diving with Howie. Loved your African Queen comment. Spot on. We did the three dives a day routine and not much else. With that amount of time in the water (I tend to stay high on the reef so I get 45 - 60 mins of diving on each dive) I needed the afternoon and evening to lounge around. We had quite a few drinks during our week and I was surprised at how reasonable the bar bill was at the end of the trip.

Who is the new owner? I thought it was supposed to be Captain Ed??

I did not talk to the 'new owner' directly, but sat near him at the bar and during several meals. I cannot say if the deal is even done and if he is going to be the new owner for that matter. However one doesn't bring a boat like that to Roatan for the fun of it.

I do know it isn't Cpt Ed.

BhamFAL,

That was an excellent review! I have been concerned because some seem to be carrying a grudge and others defending, but what you wrote had a balanced flavor and pumped up my excitement. We will be there April 26 - May 3

To all you who would like to see for themselves, it is not too late. What better way to celebrate the end of tax season than a dive trip? Contact me and join us at a price booked last year.

NCDiver

Great review. It seems that we had the exact same thoughts and experience. Made me feel homesick to be back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom