Questions about St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swampmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! I'm leaving for St. Croix in 7 days! I've got 2 days diving booked with S.C.U.B.A. I'm also bringing mykids are there some good snorkleing spots for them? We are staying in Buccaneer Bay. Also a good resturant or two would be helpful. Anything else I should know? Thanks

Pam

My wife and I spent a long weekend there in November just diving. we dove along the north and west shore with Cane Bay Diving. Dove both walls at Salt River, the wrecks, and Fredericksted pier. We also did numerous shore dives right from the dive shop at Cane Bay wall.

Not having heard much about St. Croix on this board or anywhere for that matter, we were both a little sceptical. The diving was much much better than we both expected. The island was very cool also. Lush trees and Mountains everywhere. St. Croix blows St. Thomas away in the diving and scenery department IMO.

Can't help much on the resturants. Spent all our time around Cane Bay. We ate and drank at Off the Wall, and the place right at the dive shop but I can't remember the name right now-too early in the morning. Stayed at Carambola and would recommend it to anyone. Cane Bay dive Shop was great too.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

thank you for the reply, nice to hear good things about the place. Like you said you can't get much info.

You will find the snorkeling for the kids great right there at the Buccaneer. I'd suggest also that right around the corner...down the road a mile or two is the Green Cay marina and the Tamarind Reef hotel...the snorkeling there is equally grand. And you will get to see the St. Croix Iguanas around mid-morning basking in the sun. The last time we snorkeled at Tamarind Reef a spotted eagle ray flew past us several times, and it is not at all unusual to see a Hawksbill turtle or two there.

Dining at the Buccaneer's Brass Parrot is exceptionally pleasant, it is a fancy place with some of the highest prices you'll find on the island, but worth it. Also at the Green Cay Marina is the Galleon which is also a very nice place to dine. And one of the "locals" establishments which would cause those cautious about local cuisine is the La Reine Chicken Shack located in the center of the island. Great open pit bbq chicken...regardless of what you order you'll get some Chicken, some beans and some rice. Just go with the flow, you'll be entertained and satisfied!

S.C.U.B.A. is one of the two dive operators doing business out of the Christiansted Harbor. Often times Anchor Dive Center also comes over to the Buccaneer and picks up divers. In our view it is a much more pleasurable dive experience with Anchor. Specifically because Anchor seldom does their second dive along Long Reef. I have a particular aversion to Long Reef because the coral formations suffer severely because the human influence from the shoreline on the reef, it is in pretty rough shape when compared to other dive sites along St. Croix's north shore. Anchor dives the Salt River Wall for their first dive, then heads west (away from Long Reef) for their second dive. I can't tell you the number of times we've been aboard the Betty Ann or Deliverance (both of Anchor's dive boats) heading out of the Salt River Harbor when we saw either S.C.U.B.A.'s Reliacne or Dive Experience's Dive Experience II heading our way...Anchor pulls up to the PRIME mooring ball for the day and in the water we go. We've been onboard for less than 10 minutes, while the Christiansted vessels have been on the water for almost an hour. And Anchor's surface intervals are normally accomplished ON SHORE, back at the dive shop.

Again, I apologize for the late post. I seldom check this board since returning to Colorado.

Enjoy

Can't help much on the resturants. Spent all our time around Cane Bay. We ate and drank at Off the Wall, and the place right at the dive shop but I can't remember the name right now-too early in the morning. Stayed at Carambola and would recommend it to anyone. Cane Bay dive Shop was great too.

Oh? Is Off The Wall back in business?! That was a great spot for breakfast on the beach a few years back and I was sad to see it closed down 2 years ago on my last visit.....

Yes it is open for sure! It is run by an american couple. The pizza is killer. Never ate there for breakfast but will have to try it next time.

I just found out from the folks at Cane Bay that "Off the Wall" is only open for lunch (maybe dinner?) but not breakfast anymore.... (new owners I think)

I'll be sure to stop by and check them out, but I really miss having a classic "diner" style breakfast right on the beach first thing in the morning... Damn....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom