First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the US economy is more of a service economy, so if we do not get the service we expect there is someone else willing to provide the service we expect.

It is a service economy and what the LDS did WAS provide a service. The employee spent time making sure all of the items fit correctly and were what the customer wanted. Some of those fittings the customer may not have even been able to do correctly on his own, like the mask. It basically boils down to,

"Thank you very much for paying to keep this wonderfully stocked store open so that I can use it to find what I want and what size I need, then stiff you and buy from someone else. I also appreciate the hour of your employees time for which you will also not be seeing any reimbursement. When you fail to make ends meet and finally close your doors I will act shocked and ask how it could possibly be because there were always dozens of people in there trying stuff on."

By the way, I forgot to mention. I was told by the LDS that every single pair of split fins has to cost at least $189.00 due to some sort of patent royalties stuff to be paid to the original manufacturer/inventor. It could be true. Matter of fact, all the split fins had the same identical price. Only one model was higher in price. Ok, to me, this patent story was a sufficient reason to believe that the price could not be any higher than other places. The price is 'set' by contract, why bother checking around? I was wrong again.

Yeah that is being taken, you can find split fines for less the 189. the aeris volicity xp was 149 that I found at couple of online sites, and that is their top of the line model.

It is a service economy and what the LDS did WAS provide a service.

Lying to the customer, misleading the customer, and selling them things they don't want or need is a service?

No wonder I do what I can to make sure I know more than the salesperson.

No, of course not. That's why I said, (1) do your homework, then (2) go shopping. Of course, expect to pay a bit more if you're given in store service that you couldn't have gotten online. That "bit more" is up to you to decide. Just don't "use" the store as a fitting room intending the entire time to buy online due to price. THAT is what I consider unethical.

I would stop trying to defend your position, and getting your panties in a bind about it. OP made a mistake, and realized it. He stuck with the big ticket item, and return the impulse by items. To keep harping about the ethical thing when there was no foul, makes you seem to be an irrational person. :no

Lying to the customer, misleading the customer, and selling them things they don't want or need is a service?

No wonder I do what I can to make sure I know more than the salesperson.
which ain't always hard...:shakehead:

Something else I would look at is non split blade fins,they are usually less than half the price for splits and for many people work better than split fins. How many people on here started with split fins and ended up swapping out to jet fins or a knock off of the jets? I still use the same pair of jet fins I started with in 1979,it is the only thing I originally started off with that I still use.

GYANNI,
Lots of people here being hard on you. Your story is the typical story of a new diver, you're full of enthusiam, ready to buy and trusting. I buy gear at my LDS and online. You're going to find that manafacturer sizing varies tremendously. As TSandM has already pointed out, sometimes it's better to buy from the local shop if the item requires a fit, like a wetsuit or mask. My advise to you is to try different gear, rent if you have to, but try different stuff. What works for one person, you might hate! Now, you've learned a hard lesson here, so put it to good use. Go educate yourself on scuba gear, try as many brands of stuff as you can, shop and purchase wisely. You'll do fine, you're going through what all us experts have already gone through! Good luck and safe diving. :palmtree: Bob

Amen to that!!!!!!!!

It is a service economy and what the LDS did WAS provide a service. The employee spent time making sure all of the items fit correctly and were what the customer wanted. Some of those fittings the customer may not have even been able to do correctly on his own, like the mask. It basically boils down to,

"Thank you very much for paying to keep this wonderfully stocked store open so that I can use it to find what I want and what size I need, then stiff you and buy from someone else. I also appreciate the hour of your employees time for which you will also not be seeing any reimbursement. When you fail to make ends meet and finally close your doors I will act shocked and ask how it could possibly be because there were always dozens of people in there trying stuff on."

So that's the reason that you buy your new car from the first dealer that takes you for a test drive. You wouldn't go elsewhere if you got a better deal on the same car? If an LDS wants my business, it had better do better than having a place for me to try on my gear. Hint: Competitive pricing will probably do the trick.

I don't understand why people have this obsession with potential customers visiting a LDS but buying elsewhere. Heck, the LDS has the customer to lose. If the prices were in the same ballpark, there would be no reason to shop elsewhere. Also strange how people are so lax and carefree spending other people's hard earned money!

i was thinking toothpaste and then i thought not even the americans are that silly... are they :D

You bet your vegemite we are! Should see what we pay for liquid detergent when they relable it wetsuit deoderizor.

Rainer.... what is your deal?

You talk about how it's not nice to play games w/ brick & mortar stores and "use" them for fit and information, then buy on-line. But then you mention how everyone should arm themselves with information on-line PRIOR to shopping at a shop and if the shop isn't being as competitive (considering time spent and in-person-time-with-product) then walk out like yesterday's noodles and buy on-line..

Which is it?!!?!?

You are very local to me, for which I understand your mindset - though I do not agree with it. However, you come across as just looking to argue a point - any point.

Yes: People should arm themselves with lots of information - an educated consumer is always better off. However, a local retailer can take a few different positions with their customers: strong arm them into any purchase as its a one-off, or nurture somewhat of a semi-honest relationship realizing you may not win every purchase over the deals on the net, but you will win them over with customer service, atmosphere, and a cultivated local diving base.

Stores need to earn every dollar they take in, more so than ever. If they can't compete (overall - not always on price), they WILL become a relic. Such is a market economy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom