Lake Champlain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgrace12

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I grew up in Addison, VT but didn't start diving until after I left. My wife and I will be back in town for the 4th of July this summer and would like to get some dives in on the lake... anyone on here dive in the Crown Point - Vergennes area?

I'm also interested in Sunset Lake...

Thanks!

Chris Grace
New Hope, MN

I have only been a few times but i have herd there are so realy nice ships from the French and Indian war in not too deep water, you should check those out if you get a chance.

There are tons of shipwrecks in Lake Champlain. However, only a few of them are diveable as part of the Lake Champlain Underwater Historic Preserves.

Unfortunately, one man holds the keys to the location of many of the other more interesting wrecks (Benedict Arnold's fleet, for example) and is unwilling to supply that information.

I wonder if a FOIA could get that info, since it is a state funded project....

The Thompson's Point area is a fun wall dive, too. A wall drops from 10 ffw to about 250 ffw and is accessible from shore.

Go soon before the zebra mussels cover everything - if that hasn't already happened.
Last time I was in Vergennes they had taken over the shoreline around the Basin Harbor Club. You couldn't walk on the rocks barefoot.

Hmmm... My wife grew up in Middlebury and Vergennes and both she and other friends I have up in the area all seem to always talk about how polluted the Lake is due to the mills that contaminated the place for years.

Have there been any water-quality studies??

Not sure I'd want to put my gear or myself in it....

The Horse Ferry is a cool little wreck I dived on some years ago.

81-giant-horsepoweredferryboat.jpg

Hmmm... My wife grew up in Middlebury and Vergennes and both she and other friends I have up in the area all seem to always talk about how polluted the Lake is due to the mills that contaminated the place for years.

Have there been any water-quality studies??

Not sure I'd want to put my gear or myself in it....

The only part of the lake that has ever had any "serious" pollution problems is North Beach, which due to its location and popularity, has been closed several times for various pollution related problems. Other than that, the lake is very clean....there is no reason to avoid diving there. People fish, swim, and dive there all the time.

There's a write up on our website, about each dive site, from the historical society. I'm hoping to dive all or most of them this year. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom