Muay Thai (boxing) and Scuba in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sounds like a strange combination of topics but I wanted to put it out here - as this forum has contributors with wide-ranging experience and knowledge.

I'm in discussion with some sports media about doing a fairly extensive item on Muay Thai in Thailand. In particular, I'm interested in the aspect of travellers (Farang) taking up the sport as part of their stint in Thailand.

I feel it would make for an interesting project and create some enthusiasm for what is considered a "minority sport" in the western world.

Anyone with experience in this or any trainer/operators, I'd appreciate any hints, contacts, etc. If you prefer, you can PM me rather than reply here.

Thanks in advance and happy diving/boxing/any sport.:D

the quality of schools vary, particularly those near tourist resorts.

You are better off going to The worlds best source for Mixed Martial Arts information., go to the 'Australasia' or 'underground' forums and ask the same question (you will need to register first).

The readers are far more knowledgable re martial arts, etc. and can give you a more accurate idea of what you are looking for..

Naga,
Dude, you always give good advice, but what's with that website? It's a mess.

can you log on?

go to the left hand menu's and seek the forums, they should make sense.

the main problem with that site are the idiots who post on it, but if you ask a decent question, you should get a decent response, particularly on those forums i mentioned.

Hi Louie

If you're still interested in more information about Thai boxing and Scuba diving on one place, here his where you should have a look: Thai Boxing Academy Koh Tao Thailand. The place is run by Steve Grayson (GB), also a professional scuba diver, and Pi Thun a local trainer who worked at the famous Lumpini Stadium in Bangkok before before opening Island Muay Thai on Koh Tao.

If you have any question in particular about Thai boxing, you can contact Steve over his blog at:
Island Muay Thai - Thai Boxing Academy Koh Tao Thailand I'm sure he will be happy to answer all your questions.

What i can tell you; serious sport that challenges your physical condition and scuba diving in combination is a dangerous cocktail! One has to be very careful and never dive to the limit. It is also good advice to have a large time gap between diving and training.
The increased nitrogen level after scuba diving can run you easily into a decompression sickness if you go training right after diving. That is not only valid for Thai boxing, but for any serious sport.

Back
Top Bottom