Where are the DIVE SPORTS and COMPETITIONS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because not everything in life has to be a competition.

Have you ever heard of competitive bird song listening?

Well, I'm sure it could be done . . . but for many of us, and I would hazard the guess that it's the majority, diving is a way to do away with that particular vice of the civilized "?" world.

There is competitive free diving, spear fishing and a couple of other things, but . . .

. . . why not just chill out and enjoy the vast riches which Mother Earth has given us?

the K-arma Dude

I like diving because it isn't a competitive sport. Once I get under water I relax, its nice to not have to push it too the limit.
Thats what work is for.

That is true. But asphalt and concrete barriers are not so kind either yet auto racing is huge. Same is true for downhill skiing. And even sports like boxing or football (american) are huge despite, or perhaps even partially BECAUSE of their dangers.

Even the reason Free-Diving is somewhat well known is because of the dangers the divers put themselves in - that is what catches people's attention.

Now this is not to say that a sport MUST be dangerous, especially considering the Scubatics that has just been posted. But I think it is also not as big a deterrent as we might think...

How many people can go auto racing on the weekends? How many people can go diving on the weekends? I think it's much easier to get into diving than Nascar. Granted, illegal street racing is popular, but it's illegal for a reason, it puts many people at risk. And there are forms of more "recreational" racing, I know, living in Gainesville, the home of Gator Nationals. But many of those people aren't just weekend racers, they have devoted their lives to it. They own cars and trailers and know how to work on both, that takes time and money.

I could be wrong on this point though, I don't know much about car racing. But I know that just last month a young man was pushing the limits of diving in Ginnie Springs and paid for it not only with his life, but also with the sorrow of his fiance. Is it really worth it?!?

Because not everything in life has to be a competition.
...but for many of us, and I would hazard the guess that it's the majority, diving is a way to do away with that particular vice of the civilized "?" world.

That is fair, and as a practicing Buddhist myself, I agree with that perspective.

BUT, snowboarding competitions do not make most snowboarders into competitors. It simply allows an access point for people to be engaged - a way to make it relevant or to help people understand the beauty contained. In fact, refined beauty is not only contained within competition but at times is actually reaches it's greatest expression within it - gymnastics or platform diving for example...

I do not want to turn the underwater world into a battlefield. But I do think Diving is having a few issues staying relevant. Maybe not for those here on these boards, but for the wider community out there who has yet to discover the reefs and waters of the world.

How many people can go auto racing on the weekends? How many people can go diving on the weekends? I think it's much easier to get into diving than Nascar.

You are right. But the point is not that people begin racing cars because they watch Nascar. The point is that people become more aware of their cars because of it. That is why millions are spent by car companies and advertisers on it and everyone at least has heard of Nascar, even if they don't follow it.

Instead, what I am suggesting is not to create Dive sports so that people compete themselves, but instead so that people can see what Diving is like, how amazing it is, how easy it is to actually experience the world simply by jumping over board...

But keep in mind, young diver . . . which came first . . . the snowboard . . . or the snowboard competition?

And keep in mind . . . the snows come every year . . . the coral reefs come only in several hundred.

Would you like to see them gone for the sake of some cheaply gilded trophy which costs all of $30 sittin upon your mantlepiece?
the K-arma Dude

when I was in college many years ago, we had inter-varsity scuba games. we have events like navigating thru the diamond system to see which team could go through the diamonds in the best time and minimum "touch", every touch the team get a demerit point and so on.. this was to a competition of bouancy control. other events include "search and recovery" where we had to recover things and we timed this. "black water navigation" we had teams swim in low vis water with a buoy attached to them as we see them try to work purely on compass and kick strokes to try to navigate a square or diamond - very hilarious from the surface :)

no reason why you can't organize games like these to promote team work and healthy competition and improve scuba skills.

But keep in mind, young diver . . . which came first . . . the snowboard . . . or the snowboard competition?

And keep in mind . . . the snows come every year . . . the coral reefs come only in several hundred.

Would you like to see them gone for the sake of some cheaply gilded trophy which costs all of $30 sittin upon your mantlepiece?
the K-arma Dude

Valid points. Well written and very well taken..

I had a number of people criticize me for heading to Burma in 2002. They said I was supporting a military regime with my dollars, but I have returned three times. The Burmese that I have spoken to when there are an amazing people struggling for freedom, a people few in the world know much about beyond the brief reports people hear when the soldiers pull out their truncheons.

Now we can only do so much, any of us, and there are trade-offs everywhere. But my mind is often on the people of Burma and even the people in my small circle know much more about Burma and its people simply because I talk about it.

So perhaps at times, our actions that might have short-term drawbacks, might have also yield positive long-term benefits. And in effect, they might also raise an awareness that puts the discussion on the table where people can talk about it.

The reefs of the world, as we Divers know, are amazing. Yet, as you pointed out, they are few and fragile, and they need help. And though Diving could be a perfect vehicle to translate that into action with a larger community, it has occasionally failed in terms of reaching out or connecting to new Divers that might coalesce into doing something more. If we were to ask the public to list the top 100 issues facing the world, I wonder where the reefs might fall...

Again though, you were well heard...

SCUBA isnt a competitive sport. Its better described as a hobby.

In fact competitive directly conflicts with the whole point of dive safety.

What would you do ? Who can preflight a rebreather quicker than the other and see who dies? See who can bounce dive to the deepest ? See who can knock the most time off a deco schedule and not get bent?

Thinking of diving as a sport isnt helpful - sport generally means competition. Think of it as a hobby.

As for why there aren't many young people sticking with it - its too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom