Seeking a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone --

I'm looking for a travel / dive buddy. I'd like to plan a trip sometime probably in the June / July time frame. Probably about a week.

I like to maximize diving (3 - 5 dives / day) and minimize cost... (double occupancy?)

I was thinking Scuba Club in Cozumel but I'm open to other ideas... I've also been snorkeling with the whale sharks twice -- I'd be willing to consider that trip again.

I'm open to a liveaboard... or almost any other idea.

Anybody interested in an instructor as a dive buddy?

Liz

Hi everyone --

I'm looking for a travel / dive buddy. I'd like to plan a trip sometime probably in the June / July time frame. Probably about a week.

I like to maximize diving (3 - 5 dives / day) and minimize cost... (double occupancy?)

I was thinking Scuba Club in Cozumel but I'm open to other ideas... I've also been snorkeling with the whale sharks twice -- I'd be willing to consider that trip again.

I'm open to a liveaboard... or almost any other idea.

Anybody interested in an instructor as a dive buddy?

Liz

if you want to maximize your diving (4-5 per day) and have a good time as a single/not stuck with rent-a-buddy, go on a liveaboard! There are usually several other singles on boats like the Nekton who team up for the week. On our last trip there were 4 guys (all with non-diving spouses left at home). Each got their own room as the boat wasn't full. They teamed up on day 1 for diving all week and had a great time. I am sure this is true on most liveaboards though. Many people travel alone and it just seems to be safer and more fun on a liveaboard.

Check these out too: Scubatoys.com Dive Trips, Travel with us! Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Bahamas

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/travel-group-trips-cruises-dive-trips/

Nekton Diving Cruises - Comfort, Stability, Worldclass Diving

Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

Just my 2 cents.
:D robin :D

Thanks, Robin....

I've done several trips with Nekton, and I love them... (I know there has been lots of positive and negative discussion here about them.) -- But, even with a liveaboard, I have found that I prefer to go with a pre-identified buddy, even though I might dive with others. When I went as a single, I didn't dive as much as I wanted due to the ban on solo diving and the need to find a buddy.

Liz

I often go to Coz alone and have only had a buddy issue once (in hundreds of dives there.) I make it very clear to the DM that I'm a slow drifter/coral head studier/fish surveryor and like to be at the back of any group. He puts me with people he knows enjoy the same type of diving -- photographers or experienced Coz divers or himself or another DM -- and it works out very well. Sometimes my buddy and I end up drifting a different line than the group has taken. It's important to have a safety sausage to ascend safely and have the boat locate you. I'd have zero qualms about going to a dive-centric place like Scuba Club on my own if it makes economic sense -- you'll find plenty of great people there to buddy with.

Thanks, Robin....

I've done several trips with Nekton, and I love them... (I know there has been lots of positive and negative discussion here about them.) -- But, even with a liveaboard, I have found that I prefer to go with a pre-identified buddy, even though I might dive with others. When I went as a single, I didn't dive as much as I wanted due to the ban on solo diving and the need to find a buddy.

Liz
gotcha. I would start checking with some dive shops in your area and see if they have a group trip. Or you could check with the Single Divers forum here on SB.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scuba-singles/
or
SingleDivers.com -- Your Premiere Scuba Diving Resource for Singles & Buddyless Divers!
I think they do regular trips together and it might be a good way to find a buddy. :D

robin

I didn't dive as much as I wanted due to the ban on solo diving and the need to find a buddy.

I mulled this around for a bit, and now you have posted the above.

Maybe change dive venues? I go to CCV all the time and people are always asking about finding a buddy. Actually it occurs pretty instantaneously and painlessly, and most divers who go there are good bets as buddies.

Plus- they have no objection to Solo Divers. By the end of the week, due to the physical underwater landmarks, many newly minted Solo Divers are born.

I have developed an interesting way to travel for free and not alone. I notice that you are an instructor. There is a small group of divers, sometimes with families, who will hire you to be their chaperone and guide. Sometimes they are your students and want an adventure with their trusted teacher- sometimes they want someone with your specific skill set (tech or naturalist), sometimes they just want someone whe speaks perfekt Inklish. Quite often you meet them while conducting their confined water in their own home's 12 deep indoor pool~ if you see where i am going with this. There is a market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom