The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I'd point out (as has been stated several times), that banning seal products will do nothing to stop the culling. The expanding seal population is in direct competition with the fisheries industries. If left unchecked they will most definitely deplete those stocks. Newfoundland's economy is largely dependent on the fish trade, and not only them but many US and European based operations all depend on this area (Canada has in the past boarded and impounded American and European vessels for violating quota maximums so why should the seals get away with it?? Yes my tongue is in my cheek).
Allowing the population to grow out of control is simply not an option. A culling in certain areas/populations is very necessary and if done in the most humane way possible (considering ALL circumstances) then I see no issues with it.

Well folks, I read through all 23 pages.
I'm from Nova Scotia. You know a place where there is an ocean and we are being over run with seals. I dive on the wrecks here and they are not swarming with fish. We do not have to compete with fishing charters for real estate on these wrecks because there are no fish on the wrecks. You may see one after a dozen dives on a wreck. You do however get dive bombed by 800lb seals as they call these wrecks home. Are the seals the fault of the decline of the fisheries? No! But what does an 800 pound seal eat in a day and multiply that by hundreds.
I don't blame people for being against the seal hunt. It's not pretty. Having pure white ground and spilling blood on it makes it look even more graphic. Try putting a white sheet down in a beef slaughter house.
Last year Sir Paul McCartney and his whacko ex Heather Mills came to NFLD to protest. They went out on the ice flows for some photo ops and as Heather approached one of those cute cuddly White Coats it lunged at her and nearly bit her nose off.
People on the East Coast do rely on the hunt to provide food for their families. There is a large population of lower income and uneducated families. When I say uneducated I refer to schooling degrees and not mental capacity. They do what they need to make money. It is not illegal nor should it.
I have no problem with people wanting to protest. You see how heated it gets on this board and now put people face to face in a dangerous environment and you will get conflicts and this is why there are laws to govern the protestors. Try having someone come to your workplace and turning an already dangerous job into a greater danger so they can make their point.
Let’s say you are diving a deep war wreck where people died on. The dive spot is open to recreational diving and you have every right to document it for National Geographic who is paying you to do so. However you have protestors who feel you should not be there because it is a grave site. As you are diving these protestors are underwater distracting you from doing your job and endangering your safety, while on the surface a zodiac is ramming your larger fishing boat distracting your support system and then saying they were rammed.
Think of the situation in which it would affect you. If it then still seems right than it may be. If it doesn't then take a second look at the position.
My last and final statement is this.
If these groups took half of the money the piss away on trying to create controversy and run ships and put out expensive add space, bill boards and actually spent the money creating shelters, spaying the stray animals, supporting the non profit organizations that don't get enough government assistance, then this would be a much better place for many animals. These groups have lost their way!!! They spend more effort and money stirring the pot than they do helping the animals.
JK

I support their efforts in this area. 'Traditional' practices, steeped in barbarity, should not be protected no matter who carries them out.

I agree.
Burning witches at the stake is also traditional. But we don't do that anymore either...

Z...

For those who defend the seal slaughter as a means for commerce and survival I guess you see nothing wrong with child prostitution, dog fighting and drug trafficing. It is pathetic when people use the arguement that the seal slaughter is the only lifeline these people have. It is repulisive and unethical. Perhaps these poor people should learn a new skill/trade-duh!

For those who defend the seal slaughter as a means for commerce and survival I guess you see nothing wrong with child prostitution, dog fighting and drug trafficing. It is pathetic when people use the arguement that the seal slaughter is the only lifeline these people have. It is repulisive and unethical. Perhaps these poor people should learn a new skill/trade-duh!

Ah Yeah
Those things are illegal!!! Seal hunting isn't!
JK

I guess you see nothing wrong with child prostitution, dog fighting and drug trafficing.

Good logical arguement - anyone can easily see that child prostitution and hunting wild animals could be the same thing. :shakehead:

I think you are way out of line...did you not read the post? :confused:
Unfortunately seal populations have been controlled this way for 300 years...the people are part of the food chain. They didn't just wake up one morning and decide to do this for the heck of it.
Would you compare commercial fishing to child prostitution, dog fighting and drug trafficking? Oh...thats right fish are not as cute as seals.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Again, who gets to decide what is a barbaric practice is? ... some think that all killing of animals is barbaric, no matter what.
Being part Native American I am more sensitive in someone else telling an indigenous people what is culturally correct for them, that whaling, sealing, hunting, fishing, and how you do it, is barbaric ... "You should act more civilized" :shakehead:

Paul Watson is stooping pretty low to publish this on the SS website:

And Another One Gone and Another One Gone……………

Oh! Shepherds Let’s go
The sealer walks warily on the ice
With his club and knuckles dragging low,
No mercy in his heart, he isn’t very nice,
Hak-a-pik ready to go
Are you ready hey are you ready for this?
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?
Out of the gloom the Sea Shepherd does rip
To the sound of the beat yeah
Another sealer bites the dust
And another sealer gone and another one gone
Another one bites the dust hey
Hey we’re gonna get you too
How do you think we’re going to get along
Without them the seals are gone
You took from the ice everything that they had
And kicked them in the face.
Are you happy, are you satisfied?
How long can you stand the pain.
Out of the ice the Sea Shepherd rips
To the sound of the beat look out
And another one gone and another one gone
Another one bites the dust hey
Hey I'm gonna get you too
Hey
Oh take it - Bite the dust bite the dust
Hey Another sealer bites the dust
Another one bites the dust ow
Another sealer bites the dust he he
Another sealer bites the dust hay yay ya ya ya
Ooh shout
There are plenty of ways that you can hurt a seal
And bring him to the ground
You can beat him
You can skin him alive
You can wound him bad and leave him
When he's down yeah
But we’re, yes we’re for you
We’re standing on our own two feet
Out of the fog you can see us rip
Repeating to the sound of the beat
And another one gone and another one gone
Another sealer bites the dust yeah
Hey we’re gonna get you too
Shoot out
E-he! Alright!

It's one thing to be happy that the sealers are having trouble with their hunt. It's a completely different thing to joke about and show extreme pleasure in the deaths of sealers. Again, my opinion of Paul Watson is constantly changing and headed south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom