A question for SSIGuy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Fisherdvm,

As far as the question reguarding why doesn't SSI require the learning of how to breath from a free flowing regulator?

The answer is that our instructors can choose to teach that skill if it is appropreate for the area of the world they are teaching in. As a previous store owner in Southern Oregon we did in fact teach that very skill as an SSI dealer.

I still would strongly suggest that SSI put this requirement in their class. As it is easy to teach, take less than 3 minutes to learn, and 30 seconds to demonstrate.

Of the 5 people I know who are SSI OW, only 2 were taught this skill (lives in NY), my niece who lives in Denver, my nephew, Michigan, and my son, Michigan - these 3 were not taught and never heard about free flow regulator.

So 3 out of 5 cold water folks were not taught the skill. You can not depend on the instructor to teach skills not on his slate. Anything that can make diving safer and can be taught easily should be included on your slate. Right now, only PADI and YMCA require it in their OW class. Why can't we have SSI, the second big guy, be on the list?

Not knowing the circumstances with the drowning, but perhaps those 3 divers in Gilboa, OH were not taught this skill 1 year ago?

I still would strongly suggest that SSI put this requirement in their class. As it is easy to teach, take less than 3 minutes to learn, and 30 seconds to demonstrate.

Of the 5 people I know who are SSI OW, only 2 were taught this skill (lives in NY), my niece who lives in Denver, my nephew, Michigan, and my son, Michigan - these 3 were not taught and never heard about free flow regulator.

So 3 out of 5 cold water folks were not taught the skill. You can not depend on the instructor to teach skills not on his slate. Anything that can make diving safer and can be taught easily should be included on your slate. Right now, only PADI and YMCA require it in their OW class. Why can't we have SSI, the second big guy, be on the list?

Not knowing the circumstances with the drowning, but perhaps those 3 divers in Gilboa, OH were not taught this skill 1 year ago?

[Referring to practice breathing from a free-flowing regulator.]

Picky, picky!

There are much more relevant skills, such as ESA, EBA, air sharing, etc.

[Referring to practice breathing from a free-flowing regulator.]

Picky, picky!

There are much more relevant skills, such as ESA, EBA, air sharing, etc.
I don't know... I have had to deal with a few free flowing regulators and yet I have NEVER had to do an ESA! Well, I have never had to do an ESA since I started diving with an SPG! :D In the old days, every dive ended with an OOA. Most often we pulled the J valve rod down and headed up. Sometimes we felt the pucker as we found our j-valve rod had already been pulled: bummer!

Well, I guess if you don't know how to breath from a free flowing regulator, you better know how to ESA and share air. Or die.

Just 2 cents worth. L.A. County still uses free flow techniques in their instruction as does Naui however teaching for many years I have not seen any advantage to this skill (and yes I still demo it) for making better or more confident divers. No more than when we did "ditch and Don's" or "stress awareness" (harrassment night) skills. I do feel that many instructors only do the minimums or spend more time marketing courses than teaching. Remember it is the Instructor that makes the course and not the agency. I started my career as an L.A. County Instructor did a crossover to Naui and Padi (1979) and in 2005 stopped teaching Padi programs and crossed over to SSI. Best decision I've ever made. I look to my certifying agencies for materials and guidence, and believe that SSI and NAUI best fill those requirements. You might want to suggest to the dive center or the Instructor that certified your son to add skills prudent to your area or needs. I have added things to my courses over the years based on suggestions from students and other diver's....The best instructors never stop learning.

NAUI does not require breathing on a free flowing reg, though their some of their instructors teach it (like me). However, PADI does. It's great to hear that SSI allows the instructor to add skills they think are pertinent to their environment. I think it's important to give the instructor latitude on such things.

Does SSI allow NitrOx to be taken simultaneously with open water?

Thank you , Watson, what a pleasure it was reading your posts. Right on the money. I am proud of my Master Instructor rating with SSI and have been an active instructor over 10 years and have helped 1000s along their way....both my students and new divers who needed some guidance all over the world.....I love working out of Adventure Sports in Shawnee, KS....a great shop with super nice people....in fact our owner and my friend Mark Figgins has just become a Inst Certifier. Thanks again for the support you give us instructors it's been a great ride!!! I do feel however that an active instructor for 10 years should be given a certificate or something.....
all the best and good luck with the new changes at Headquaters

I competed my "Open Water" certification in October of 07 through SSI here in Nebraska. We practiced the "Free Flowing Procedures" till we were comfortable doing it. One of the things I learned about the SSI program was the latitude the Instructor has to teach extra skills beyond the minimums. For a new diver, I like that. I agree with an earlier statement, "I do feel that many instructors only do the minimums or spend more time marketing courses than teaching. Remember it is the Instructor that makes the course and not the agency." That said, our instructors were not in a hurry and we practiced each skill till we were comfortable do it. In my limited experience of 27 dives, it doesn't take me long to see where the instructor or dive masters interest is. Two of my friends were certified under different agencies and echoed the the same thought, it's the instructor that makes the difference. Thankfully, like aviation, the dive industry is made up of helpful ,sincere divers who look out for your well being whether your one of their students or just a fellow diver.

One of the things I learned about the SSI program was the latitude the Instructor has to teach extra skills beyond the minimums.

I'd like to echo that statement as this is one of the things that I noticed as well. My instructor did cover breathing with a ff reg in our class even though cold cold water (as mentioned earlier) is not a typical condition in our area. It will be nice 74 degrees on the beach this afternoon :D

:cheers:

CivilE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom