Is it safe to go there?

What safety decisions do you consider for non-US trips?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well..... with tongue only partly in cheek...... I live in Oakland, CA --- some would even say in the 'hood .... and I should be afraid to TRAVEL????????

I would avoid active war zones.... However, I have been in Fiji immediately following a coup.... I couldn't have felt safer.... one of my best trips ever.

I am not however, planning any drive trips very soon to the middle east. Otherwise... if it's warm water.... I'm probably up for it.

Dive on!!!

Liz

I always have a fear that things won't be as good as they seemed in the brochure or website.

Thats why i tend to buy my flight and then select a hotel etc when i get there. But i would only consider this an option if you are not a family! I think it is my love of winging it that also keeps me out of the family way!

Of course if I wanted to avoid all risks, I'd stay at home like a hermit (probably some risk to that as well!).

Seriously, like others have mentioned, I have and will continue to avoid places where active fighting/imminent civil unrest is present. I have been to places in Africa and Asia that were fine at the time but within 12 months of my visit were the scenes of violent uprisings.

One big consideration for me is flying into some remote places. My father worked for an airline for 35 years and I love to fly and have no fear of it. However, I do like to fly on airworthy planes that are properly maintained, have competent pilots and land at airports with the minimum required safety equipment and good runway conditions. Thus, there are some regions of the world that I am unlikely to travel at the moment due to the internal flight situation. That's me....others out there are willing to take on some more risks with respect to air travel. Once I've exhausted all of the other interesting places in the world to see I might rethink this, but that's several years down the road.

With respect to adventure travel, etc., you have to continue to use your brain and trust your gut instinct. If my life is depending on a piece of safety equipment for which others are responsible (as an earlier poster mentioned) then I am likely to pass. Don't go along with the crowd if you're not happy about something. I ask questions about O2 on the boat, radio contact, etc. in most cases when I'm booking a foreign holiday. The operators have responded in a direct and honest way that shows they get the same questions on a regular basis.

I often travel alone and will look into security issues so that I am informed before I go. I will often book the first night or two in a larger/known hotel until I get over the jetlag and get the lay of the land. Might cost me a bit more those nights, but it has gotten me on the right track for the remainder of the holiday.

I agree in the US things are regulated etc. but do not assume that other countries do not do the same, or that regulation can prevent ALL accidents and incidents. I'm an American living abroad BTW. I've just some back from 5.5 weeks in Australia which included lots of diving. Overall the diving practices there are some of the best I've seen do date in my diving career (I know many of you have much more experience).

I feel safer in most European cities on my own at night than I ever did when I lived in the US. However, having grown up in the US I have that sixth sense that many of my European friends don't have when it comes to determining when it's safe and when it's time to make a quick exit from a situation.

OK that's enough rambling from me.

The US, Canada as well as several other countries have travels warnings about the Philippines. As a Canadian living here I couldn't feel more safe. There are "terrorists" on one of the islands here and there is fighting there from time to time but that does not affect us on our island in the least. There have been bombs that have targeted politicians but few if any civilians have been killed.

No matter where you live there is some level of risk. I came from a city of 250,000 on the prairies of Canada and the per capita murder rate ranked with the worst cities in North America. I'm not saying that you should ignore warnings but don't make relatively vague possible threats deter you from travel. I would not travel to a war zone either but many of the countries I have visited in Asia have some type of travel warning and I have never had a problem. Common sense is key.

I usually just check the US State Department site for any Recent travel warnings. They are usually on top of reporting any serious concerns. In the past couple of years I have been twice to Egypt and once in Tunisia. In the resort areas we felt completely safe. Great diving too :)

As was stated it is more dangerous to walk around at night in any mid-size city in the US than in the populated areas of these dive destinations.

I attached a US State Dept link that should be helpful for anyone traveling abroad.

Regards,
Mark

Country Specific Information

Many people who reside in or visit areas that face terrorist threats, such as in Mindanao, travel with their own security force, avoid an obvious presence, or both. In some areas of the Philippines, especially in Mindanao, visitors should avoid travel at night outside metropolitan areas. U.S. Government employees must seek special permission for travel to Mindanao or the Sulu Archipelago. When traveling in Mindanao, U.S. official travelers attempt to lower their profile, limit their length of stay, and exercise extreme caution./QUOTE]

Uh yeah, this is laughable. Own security force? Believe me this is not Iraq and Blackwater does not have an office here...:shakehead:

Uh yeah, this is laughable. Own security force? Believe me this is not Iraq and Blackwater does not have an office here...:shakehead:

20 years ago it was still a little wild but since 1989 things really calmed down. Right after Marcos left and before the fall of communism the NPA was still pretty active all around the country. There were fire fights between government forces and NPAs within ear shot of my house three times. You'd read about ambushes of gov forces around Panay and Negros almost every week. Security checkpoints with armed soldiers were an everyday thing.
The craziest thing that happened to me was when some angry barangay residents tossed 3 home made grenades on the roof of our hatchery. (paper wrapped around gun powder and nails and metal) and blew a couple holes in the roof. Seems one of the Peace Corps guys got drunk and went skinny dipping with a working gal...and lost their clothes with the tidal current and had to walk out to his house bare naked. They thought it was me. Once we cleared that up everything was cool though.

Back
Top Bottom