The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem with people hunting etc. when they are resourceful and use as much as of the animal as possible with minimal suffering permitted. When the Eskimos hunt seals they use the pelt, blubber, meat and even bones. There is no waste and there is a deep appreciation for the animal and it's offerings. The seal slaughter is entirely different. Over 90% of the time the pelt is stripped off (many times when the animal is still alive) and the carcass is left behind. The carcass is too heavy and expensive to transport. After many changes of hands and $$ the pelt can be found on the likes of Paris Hilton and on fashion runways which promote anorexic lifestyles. Hardly a noble cause. I can't believe that anyone actually buys the argument that clubbing the animal is more compassionate than shooting it. That is a total load of crap! The clubbing leaves the pelt intact hence the higher value it is.

fur is more ecological than syntetics. syntetic clothes manufacturing kill far more animals than trapping or clubbing.

If I'd live in the south, I might consider wearing only palm leaves to cover my private parts but I live in the north.

We should teach the seals to get jobs and talk like us. Then the clubbers could start a circus with seals and make millions. And maybe the seals could learn to run a brewery and send me the beer. Anyway, I'm totally against the seals clubbing because it pushes up the cover charge.

The whole idea of boycotting seafood from Canada because of the Seal Hunt is a stance that hits home. My family members are fishermen. That's their livelihood. I don't think we should boycott American Beef because of inhumane living conditions or slaughter methods, American automotive industry that along with other automotive industries is destroying the earth. Pick your flavor of the month but don’t attack a nation or a group that has nothing to do with the actual event. If you want to boycott seal fur than go ahead.
As far as kids seeing the slaughter and having nightmares as someone mentioned. If it is anything like what we are facing here where you come from, the parents are too busy too know what the kids are seeing and rely on the Playstation and Nintendo systems to do the babysitting. And lord knows there no violence there. But that's a whole other topic.
Both my wife and I are huge animal lovers. I agree with the hunt and she doesn't. I personally hunt and fish (which I club over the head when I land them) and she doesn't. We contribute to shelters and attend fundraisers for the benefit of animals. The difference between us is I believe in the food chain where my wife wants to save everything.
As I stated in my previous post, Why can't these groups take the money the piss away on creating controversy and use it to actually help the animals in need? Answer! Helping animals does not bring in the bucks like airing a story on the seal hunt. I'd be very curious on how much money the leaders of these campaigns pocket.
JK

RV Farley Mowat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the second picture down on the right hand side. For all those who say these guys are honorable and here they are bragging about the ships they sunk like a WWII fighter plane. Give me a break.
To boot here is a ship that is 50+ years old. That ship is going to burn 10 cubic meters (2642 gallons) of fuel a day. Operating costs on a ship like that run $25,000-$30,000 a day. As I said money pissed down the drain!!!
JK

Excellent link Kennedy and point well taken.

Furthermore, one sure way to stop the seal hunt is to offer the sealers an alternative. Would it not be more constructive to use the money wasted in sometimes violent confrontation more constructively? SS could start some type of industry to provide jobs that have a good wage scale and not only could you stop the hunt but you would be heralded as a savior by the people you employ as well as the government. I think we all agree that the hunters don't do this dangerous job for fun and in my opinion would welcome a chance to stop if they could feed their families through other sources of income.

As you pointed out, there is a lot of money being pissed away right now.

As you pointed out, there is a lot of money being pissed away right now.
That point of view depends on which side of the piss delivery mechanism you are standing. SS does tend to get a bunch of it on their shoes though.

And, like this thread, it is a pissing contest.

I agree Ted but why not a joint venture? The cost of running a Coast Guard ship is not cheap either I realize. My main point is that nothing constructive is being done and all the money being spent on both sides is frankly just wasted

I agree Ted but why not a joint venture?
I suggest that the biggest reason why joint ventures are not considered/not viable is that the sides are so far apart philosophically that they have trouble finding any common ground. Even if they did find common ground, it would be so small and there would be much suspicion harboured by each side.

The positions are so intractable as to be impossible to overcome.

We need new people to work the problems through, not the ones who have now staked out their positions.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

I disagree with the large scale slaughter of ANYTHING not just seals and feel that people could find more humane ways to make a living.

I think this is the big problem people have with you, is this massive glaring logical inconsistency in your posts.

If you were a vegan, then I could totally respect your view - although I wouldn't agree I think it would be logical and just a personal choice that we all have to make.

But - as far as I can tell - you're not a vegan, you eat chicken, you eat beef, you eat seafood and you wear leather. The seals live a far better life than factory farmed chickens or cows but you are against the hunting of a non-endangered animal for reason that are totally infathomable to me - and I imagine most others on here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom