Coming your way (San Diego)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I shall be in San Diego for a week during the middle of May. At home (U.K.) I always dive in a dry suit.

I`m hoping to do plenty of diving whilst in SoCal, and I have heard that the water temps. are pretty much the same as in the UK. Do I need to bring my drysuit over, or can I get away with a 5mm semidry with 5mm shortie to go over that ?

I would appreciate any advice regarding thermal protection from any local divers

Regards

Steve

Hey Steve,

Its been pretty cold lately, 48-51, I'd bring the drysuit. PM me if you're looking for locals to dive with.

Josh

I've dove San Diego year round in a 5 mil wetsuit, no problem. It's dependent on your individual temperature range. My GF gets cold in her drysuit.

Hi

Steve L, I am in San Diego 19th May to 25th May!

Can anybody help with a decent dive shop/guides to dive with in San Diego.

Everyone I have contacted so far want money up front!! And I will lose it if I couldn't dive!! After experiencing great customer service in Egypt I am somewhat dismayed by this cutthroat attitude!

Also wondering what gear to take, haven't managed drysuit course yet, Should I ??!!
I use a 5mm Oceanic semidry and 5 mm shortie for Uk inland diving and was wondering whether to take it or hire out there?

Just need general advice about diving in San Diego as well, fancy doing some shore dives in La Jolla, doing the Kelp Forests and maybe Yukon.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks J

Steve, you'll be much more comfortable in a drysuit in SoCal... Our water temps have been quite chilly lately.. I had a friend visiting from the UK a couple of weeks ago and he was definitely glad that he brought his drysuit :D

And Jellyfish... you'll have better luck posting here if you want a dive buddy/guide.... Lots of locals in this forum who will likely invite you to dive with us... (for free). lol...
As far as what exposure protection, you *could* take the drysuit course out there but you'd need to get a bit of diving in it before coming out here and diving dry.. You said inland diving, which I assume to be a freshwater quarry... Diving here is a saltwater ocean, which will change your weighting/buoyancy~ and if you're not totally comfortable in a drysuit by the time you'll be coming out this way, then I'd say just rent a 7mm wetsuit here... Rental prices are fairly reasonable, and we have several dive shops in this area.. If you want to see the kelp forests, I'd recommend a day trip to Catalina Island (if you need a buddy, just let me know :D ). We have boats going to the Yukon many times a week, so you won't have problems getting a dive or 2 there... and La Jolla Shores is nice diving-- expect a 20 min surface swim to get to the rim of the canyon (and my advice--- don't dive La Jolla on a weekend, unless its super early like 5-6am.. the amount of people/cars in the parking lot after 7am is ridiculous)

Steve/Jelly feel free to PM me if you have questions about SD diving/dive shops. :)

Regards,
~Missy

steve,

temps in may are cold - 49 to 55 degrees, I suggest a dry suit.

jellyfish, you can defintely shore dive with the locals for free. for a boat dive to the local wrecks, you'll have to pay in advance. but there should be spots last minute.

the vis in the local kelp forests (and everywhere else near the shore) can be pretty iffy in may, I strongly suggest trying out catalina island if you have the time.

missyp is a good resource and all her advice is spot on.

scott

:D Thanks MissyP and Scottfiji for your advice! Keep it coming!!

Think I may bring my semi dry 10mm!! PADI Advanced Open water ( may have finished my Rescue Course by time I arrive!!). 30 dives to date in UK lakes,Florida and Red Sea so still learning!!

Am basically free every day starting 19th May until 24th May and want to dive!! Have had a couple of emails from OEX in La Jolla who seem ok, really wanted to dive with experienced Dive master/Instructor due to no knowledge of area and relative inexperience!

If someone wants to dive all week and has the experience and safety and wants to do a San Diego Itinerary then go for it!!

Can I hire Nitrox 32% and possibly a 15 litre tank ( don't know what conversion is to U.S!!) as I am an air hog!! Also do I need a DIN conversion on my 1st stage???

Lots of questions I know but might as well be safe and ask!!

Am basically free every day starting 19th May until 24th May and want to dive!! Have had a couple of emails from OEX in La Jolla who seem ok, really wanted to dive with experienced Dive master/Instructor due to no knowledge of area and relative inexperience!

Can I hire Nitrox 32% and possibly a 15 litre tank ( don't know what conversion is to U.S!!) as I am an air hog!! Also do I need a DIN conversion on my 1st stage???

Yes you can rent (hire) Nitrox tanks if you have a Nitrox c-card... And I think a 15 litre converts to about a 95cuft tank~ most standard rentals are Aluminum 80s, but most shops will rent steel as well (various sizes I'm sure). Don't believe I've ever seen DIN rental tanks, so it's probably a safe bet to have a conversion..
10mil wetsuit, you'll be fine (don't understand how people move in those things though)..

Oh, and I'm a Divemaster. :p

Yes you can rent (hire) Nitrox tanks if you have a Nitrox c-card... And I think a 15 litre converts to about a 95cuft tank~ most standard rentals are Aluminum 80s, but most shops will rent steel as well (various sizes I'm sure). Don't believe I've ever seen DIN rental tanks, so it's probably a safe bet to have a conversion..
10mil wetsuit, you'll be fine (don't understand how people move in those things though)..

Oh, and I'm a Divemaster. :p

SDUA (where you should go for fills/rentals/etc) has a few larger steels for rentals. And ALL of their rental cylinders have DIN/yoke convertible valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom