Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys,
Sorry for not answering sooner. I've been busy diving every day and have not been active in the forum. For fast answers please write directly to my e-mail address: avega@pvscuba.com

April is about the time when water temperature can warm up. Each year, however, is different (last year the water warmed up end of May) so just keep reading our updates.

Giant Mantas are often abundant here in April. Yesterday we spotted on on the surface after several weeks of not seeing them, so we'll keep you posted. The Mantas can often be seen at sites where beginners can dive. Othe pelagics not really.

The conditions lately have been very similar to what I've reported the past few days and I'll keep updating more often, I promise.

regards

Alex from PVScuba

March 20th

Finally remembered to bring the camera... Actually we often bring it, yet we don't use it when we're teaching courses so as to not be distracted.

Wanted to share this picture of a stone scorpion fish. Talk about camuflage! Some of our guests can't see it at first even when we point it out.

attachment.php

Anyway, the water's still a bit cold: 70s at the surface, 60s at midwater and upper 50s at the deeper 100ft+ dives.

see you diving...

Alex from PVScuba

Attachments

• stnscpfish.jpg
    stnscpfish.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 473
Majahuitas is Moray City. Morays are abundant in most dive sites, yet here we seem to see more of them. Morays have an aggresive look to them, with jaws moving in a "wanna bite you" motion (that's the way they breathe), yet they are tame as kittens. Don't put your hand in their lair, though. We don't want any surprises.

Here's a picture of an Argus Moray taken on a recent trip to Majahuitas.

Attachments

• moray.jpg
    moray.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 203
Alex

Here is what I wrote to some of the divers I dive with in Calgary:

We spent two weeks at our time share in Puerto Vallarta (actually Nuevo Vallarta which is next to the Puerto area).

I dove with a group called PV Scuba, ultimately owned by a Canadian, based at the Howard Johnson in the PV Marina – good equipment and boat, good dive master (actually an instructor). Did 4 days of dives, so eight dives – the water was frigging cold – 60 degrees most of the time, with a thermo-cline at 30 feet so surface temp was 73. Still cold in a one piece 7.5 mil, with hood and gloves. I understand that it has been colder then normal this year, and that it does warm up as the year moves along.

The deeper dives were so-so – dark and not a lot of life – we tended to see more during the safety stops then during the dive. The shallow dives were quite good – lots of life, variety – more eels than you could shake a stick at – with many free-swimming or free-lounging around rocks. Plenty of sting-rays, including some electrical guys, garden eels, schooling damsels, and schools of puffers – a whole bloody lot of them in one dive. I saw one octopus lurking in a crevice, and there were the usual range of scorpion fish and sergeant majors. We did see a couple of whales on surface – nothing spectacular in terms of breaching and/or tails, but lots of dorsal fins. Heard them as well when we were in the water once or twice. Majahuitas was the one location with the most eels – amazing to see 10 or 15 of the beasts in a single sweep.

What really struck me was the health of the shallow reefs – plenty of soft corals, nudi-branches, critters and spider crabs – some urchins, etc. This made the shallow dives very nice – somewhat warm (ha!) really good colours, and some wows! Nice long dives, too – one 79 minute one. The dive shop guys were good – Alex Vega is manager/owner and Ramses is the other instructor/dive master – I dove with both these guys and they were good – let me dive my own profile, and use up the gas – on a couple of dives the dive master took up one of the other divers (cold, low air, etc.) and let me continue the dive until I was at 500 PSI or ready to finish up – in one case we did this twice in a single dive – worked for me!!

K.J. O'Shea, M.Sc., F.G.A.C.

P.Geo. (Ont.), P.Geol. (Alberta)

Partner

Dove Devil's Canyon at Los Arcos National Park today. Water seems to be starting to warm up, if ever so slightly. Average of 64F on the deep dive. Those 4-5 degrees more do make a difference!
Low viz near the surface and cleared up to about 60ft below the thermocline, which was at 30 ft today.
Had a good report from Marietas today from other local operators, so we'll be heading out that way tomorrow. will keep you informed...

Did you get any good pictures? Unfortunately I didn't get anything I'm very proud of. At least I have my memories of a great dive in Devils Canyon. How was your dives in Marietas on tuesday?

Hi Everyone!

We just returned from PV. We went diving with Javier at Pacific Scuba (Pacific Scuba - Puerto Vallarta -Scuba Diving) and had a great time. He is the owner, totally chill (our group rented the entire boat so we could go when and where we wanted) and he even led the dive himself. The vis was poor but he took us to a couple of great spots and was able to point out tons of rays, eels, trumpet fish, etc.. Nice! I would definitely recommend his outfit to others. Have a great time!

Jason

Hi Ron,

Here are a couple of pictures. Let me know if you want me to send some to you.

Marietas was very nice. Better viz than at Los Arcos, about 40 ft at depths 0-60ft. Dived through some interesting tunnels and saw some different fish than at Los Arcos, such as Mexican Goatfish, Green Morays, and others (I regret to say that I didn't have the camera with me :shakehead:).

Alex

Attachments

• ron&carrie.jpg
    ron&carrie.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 89
  • CortezAngel.jpg
    CortezAngel.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 102
I do have a few pictures I can post. These were from the dive at Mislamoya (probably miss spelled). Glad to hear your dive at merietas went well.
I would like the shot you took of Carrie and I at the boat.

thanks
Ron

Attachments

• anemones.jpg
    anemones.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 85
  • coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 87
  • hydrocoral.jpg
    hydrocoral.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Nudibranch.jpg
    Nudibranch.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 78
  • puffer.jpg
    puffer.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 86
On Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 our group of 4 went diving with Alex and his staff at PVSCUBA. I would like to say that Alex and his staff are TOP-NOTCH in every way possible - safety, knowledgeable, and a lot of fun!!! We all rented gear and it was in excellent condition. His dive boat was roomy and well-maintained. The entire experience exceeded our expectations. If you get to Puerto Vallarta, I HIGHLY recommend PVSCUBA.

Thank you Alex and WE WILL RETURN,

Cheryl & Lee Annucci
Mike Chaba
Rick Indiano

Back
Top Bottom