Is Halcyon worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using Halcyon since I first started, with no problems. I have one of their back-up LED lights which works well too. One of our local shops is really happy with Oxycheq, which I would also consider if I was starting again.

I'm looking at getting a bp/wing setup and my friends dad is offering to sell me a hacylon setup for 500 or so. i've heard that with hacylon your just buying a name from some others and that you can get the same thing without the name elsewhere.

suggestions?

What exactly are you getting for 500 bucks??

Halcyon makes fine diving gear, as do several others. I think if you shop around the top-tier manufacturers, you'll find that a complete setup from any of them is really quite similar in price. Halcyon will likely be a bit more than average, some might fall below the price average.

If the setup really is complete, $500 is a reasonable price if the gear is in new or like new condition.

That's what I'm thinking Mr. Ford.

If it's the whole thing it could be a bargain. If it's just the BP with and pioneer wing.. well then there is a lot of room for negotiation. :14:

I'd like to bring the exacting intellectual rigor of "Expelled" to bear on this situation: A friend once told me, "If you use anything other than Halcyon, you're going to be killed until you're dead. You don't want to be killed until you're dead, do you?" I didn't, so I bought Halcyon. And look at me, I'm still alive! Ergo, Halcyon saved my life.

Now, you don't want to be killed until you're dead, do you? :eyebrow:

There's a pretty wide gap between dive rite and Halcyon. Oxycheq on the other hand is different, but I haven't seen anything close to $420 from Patrick for a full setup.

Buy yourself a new rig online
Check out DSS... i own a zeagle backplate and wing but if i had my time again i'd probably buy a DSS plate, they look like the puppies nuts!

I have tried a few times of my new Halcyon Eclipse 30 in the pool. They are great and my trimming and buoyancy control is a lot easier with bp/w. It feels very comfortable when resting on the surface. It will not kind of pushing my face on the water when I was using my back inflated BC. I will never go back to my jacket and back inflated BC. I am practising a few of the very basic tec drill, and my instructor told my that the Halcyon single is a little more easier to control than the OxyCheq for a newbie like me since the wing is a little wider and slightly bigger. For more experinece divers out there, there won't be a problem.

Happy diving.

alright, i just talked to him again, he'll sell me a brand new setup. eclipse 30# for 595.

thoughts? good deal? should i do it?

alright, i just talked to him again, he'll sell me a brand new setup. eclipse 30# for 595.

thoughts? good deal? should i do it?

That is for what?
  • 30 pound wing
  • hog harness
  • backplate (SS or aluminum)
  • single tank adapter
Does not sound like that good a deal unless there is some other stuff in there.

Mat.

Back
Top Bottom