Cabo Pulmo in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebagolizzy

Registered
Reaction score
Am I nuts to be thinking of going to Cabo Pulmo with my family of 5 in August? I have gathered from what I've read that the diving and snorkeling should be good then, but has anyone been there during that time of year? I worry that it will be so hot that we will be miserable when we are on land. I also know that it is technically hurricane season, but I'm inclined to risk it. Thoughts?
Any suggestions on where to stay?
Thought about staying in Buena Vista and using Vista Sea Sports as there are more accommodation options there, but it seems like we will pay a lot more and ride longer in boats that go to the same places. Can anyone confirm that for me?
At the time we arrive my youngest (12) will be just certified, my husband and boys will have 30+ dives experience and I am likely to just be snorkeling. Kids want to see bigger and different animals than what we have seen in the Caribbean.

Thanks!

I have been there from early May to middle to late July. It will be hot and might be windy in the afternoon. Diving should be great that time of year. There are places to stay in Pulmo but I do not know enough to suggest one over the other. I always stay at Van Wormer Resorts It is basic but it is clean, the food is good, and it is close to Pulmo. There are a few other resorts in the area. In my experience all of the local resorts and hotels are geared towards sport fishing instead of diving.
I have been out with Vista and they do a great job. They know the area and we had no problems with rental gear. I think that Vista picks up every morning at most local hotels.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Craig

I am going to Cabo Pulmo in Sept '08. I would be interested in what you think... have heard Baja Bungalows in Pulmo are nice and close to dive sites..

I was at Cabo Pulmo in Sept 06 and had a fabulous dive day. It was hot, a little muggy and a bit dusty driving there, but the diving was excellent. It was warm water 82 degrees, good vis (60 to 70 foot) BIG fish and lots of them, with just a bit of current. We had lunch at the little beach restaurant, fresh fish just caught. I loved it, but I've never stayed overnight there. You might want to try tripadvisor for information about the hotels in the area. Have a great trip.

After reading the Undercurrent article on Cabo Pulmo I'm also very interested in going there. Sounds great! Please post back and let us know how it goes. They stayed at Cabo Pulmo beach resort and had a great write up on it!

Can't really help you as to the weather in May, but I was there last January and the diving was beautiful. The currents were very strong so we did mostly drift dives in cabo pulmo, not a lot of opportunities for macro shots and the like - however there was a HUGE amount of life - fish, corals, sponges/plants/etc, and the DM pointed out some garden eels. Definitely recommended diving, though the "town" was hardly a town at all and the beach was too rough for casual swimming - not much for any non-divers to do.

I stayed in Cabo San Lucas and did some dives there as well. I hadn't heard anything good about diving in CSL, but I was there, so what the heck. Did a dive at land's end and a shallower dive a little ways towards the marina from land's end. I may just be a miserable cold water diver, but I was impressed! The "arch" at land's end is basically a big rock pillar that plunges ~80ft straight down into sand. Schools of fish vast enough to block out the light from the surface, tons of life of all sorts all over the pillar, etc.

There's some pretty decent snorkeling a little bit north of cabo san lucas, santa maria bay and a few other small bays. I took to wearing a 3mil when snorkeling and diving down there after a little incident with a jellyfish.

I invite you to check out our new site at BajaDivers.com for information about diving many locations on the Baja Peninsula. We have a growing list of detailed site descriptions, a list of the larger dive operators, as well as information on lodging and restaurants. When you get home, please visit our site again and post your dive experiences using our Virtual Dive Log. Your first-hand info will then be available for the divers who follow you.

BajaDivers.com - by divers, for divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom