Fogging issues with Canon G-9 Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just about to purchase a G-9 and the Canon underwater housing, when I read several reviews on Pricegrabber with people complaining about fogging problems with the Canon housing. The people described the problem diving in both cold and warm water... One person stated the camera gets so hot they have to turn the camera off frequently to avoid it over heating as well.

Has anyone had any issue with this? I don't want to buy this if I'm going to have this level of difficulty!

I've heard that the viewfinder on the digital cameras can generate a lot of heat causing fogging. I haven't had that problem diving in 50 degree water with my G9 but I also have the viewfinder set to turn off after a minute or so of no use. Still, when I've been shooting pictures or video for a "long" period of time and the viewfinder has remained on I haven't had any fogging issues there either.

My Olympus had a spot to slide in the silica gel packets to help with the problem. The Canon housing doesn't have a convenient spot for the packets, at least not for the size packets I have.

Nathan

I use my G9 with the Ikelite housing. Silica gel packs pretty much take care of any fogging issues.

My previous canon with canon housing and had lots of fogging issues, even with Moisture Muncher. I recently bought the G9 with the ikelite housing and have had no issues. I read somewhere that because the canon housings are more compact, there is no room for air to circulate and they tend to fog up more than the ikelites because ikelites have more space. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

We use the near identical G7 and Canon housing. We always use the silica dessicant packs, and pack the camera indoors in air-conditioning before diving and have never had any hint of a fogging problem.

zero fogging issues. just insert camera into the housing when you're in a dry, air-conditioned room and dont leave it in the hot sun. put it in a dunk tank instead.

also, I put some tissue or absorbant material in the barrel of the housing. silica gel is extremely annoying cus it gets saturated so quickly after merely being exposed to the atmosphere.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually use women's thin panty liners to absorb any moisture. cut and folded between the camera and the housing- they work great! And no mess...Now, another question...

I've read quite a few complaints about dust getting into the lens on the G-9. Is this a problem with this camera in particular, or all point and shoots? (I have a Powershot SD600 and have had zero issues with this, but have read several forums on photography websites about dust particles getting inside the lens.)

I really think this is the camera I want to get, but am concerned about these few issues. Thanks for your input and patience!

I also am looking at the G9 and Canon housing as an upgrade to my relic Oly C4000Z. I have read several articles complaining about dust in the lens of the G9 and G7. Some of the cameras are only six months old. I don't know if it is the lens design or the users exposing their cameras to windblown dusty environments. My Oly C4000Z is over 5 years old and has no dust in the lens.

The fogging issue is also complained about on the web but again is this a user thing and not a design problem. The Oly housing is larger than the Canon housing and allows me to put desiccant (re-chargeable type) in it. The Canon housing won't.

I load my camera, put in the desiccant, then let an AC unit blow directly into the housing before closing it. I have on very few occasions had some fogging of the camera lens but it was when I did not use the AC and also took several photos back to back. The G9 has a 3" monitor and therefore may generate even more heat than the smaller monitors?

I am still undecided on the G9 but continue to read more about it and get more opinions from current owners. The reviews on the cameras performance are good.

I am not interested in spending $600. on an Ikelite housing for the G9 plus another $100. for the flat port for the 67mm wide angle lens.

We just came back from a diving holiday in Mozambique...humid conditions and no airconditioned accomodation to get dry air into the housing.
I did 11 dives with my new G9 + Canon housing in water temperatures from 26 to 23 degrees (celcius). I slipped 2 small thin silica dessicant packs into my housing which I used for the first 5 dives, after which I replaced them with new ones.
Had NO fogging problem at all! On my first dive I left the camera on for the whole dive and took lots of pictures with the flash - no overheating/fogging problems, but leaving the LCD on drained the battery pretty fast, and it was almost completely drained after the dive. Thereafter I turned the camera or LCD off after taking shorts and the battery easilly lasted 2 dives.

My point being that I completely agree with Gillian above, fogging is a user and not a design problem.

I'm very happy with the results of the G9 underwater - not yet sure about the white balance on land. At a quick glance it looks a bit too warm (AWB/Sunny/Cloudy) - will have to sit down and compare with my 350D and IXUS850 before I give a final verdict.

Hope this helps.
Adriaan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom