Editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking at photo editing software and was looking for some opinions. The only one I am slightly familiar with is the photoshop elements 6 and I just got to play with it on their 30 day free trail download. Now that I am looking to buy, I want to know what else is out there that is worth anything and have you compared it to elements 6?

My personal favorite for images period is Gimp. Search for it on google... the best part about is that its free. SO if you don't like it you haven't wasted any money, just a bit of time.

I have strangely enough never really familiarised myself with the GIMP, despite me being a stingy-ass I-won't-use-anything-if-it-isn't-free lamer. I believe the GIMP is pretty good though so I'd also recommend you investigate it.

If you are prepared to pay though I can also recommend Corel's Paint Shop Pro. I've been using it for years and years and years and I honestly believe it is every bit as powerful as Photoshop, just much much cheaper.

One thing that I will say for Photoshop though is that you often find tutorials and plugins on the internet that is very useful but specifically aimed at Photoshop. I have actually considered changing to Photoshop for this very reason but if I do it will be grudgingly as I dread the new learning curve and I do feel it is overpriced.

If you want more ideas and see how the various packages compare in price you may want to have a look at this page.

I love "Raw Therapee" for basic functionality, converting raw to jpeg, noise, sharpening, white balance, crop, etc'. I think its a lot more comfortable for initial image processing.
After that - for advanced image editing - GIMP.

Adobe "Light Table" would be a great place to start!

Back
Top Bottom