Best place to get certified, Long Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I like in Long Beach and would love to get my girlfriend certified for SCUBA diving. I'd bet there are different certs, so I'll explain that what I want is for her to be able to dive anywhere reasonable, she won't be deep water welding or anything, just underwater sight seeing. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for where to go, and estimation of the costs (rentals, not purchasing).

I've also heard masks are something you want to buy not rent. This may be especially true since she is filipino (not an averagely shaped face). Is this true?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. I do not know anyone who dives so sorry for the newbie questions!

Regarding getting certified..

I'm afraid I cannot help you with any Long Beach shops as I am not familiar with the area. Should you decide to drive out a bit on the 405, I encourage you to go visit Dive 'N Surf in Redondo Beach 310-372-8423. I am currently a PADI instructor and teach classes there. Please feel free to PM with questions if you don't find the answers you want on the website.

Be aware that different places will advertise pricing for classes differently. Some will break down the price into class, certification fees, books, etc. Some will give one all-inclusive price. Also, some classes might include a boat trip while others only have boat dives. Others will give you both or allow you to pick and choose between options. Just be sure to compare apples to apples and not just look at price tags. You may find boat diving a lot easier on the joints for example :)

I think everyone on SB just wants new divers to make an informed choice. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to email me or call DNS (310-372-8423). No question is too small. We hear it all from new students all the time. Whoever you end up going with, be safe and have fun! Let me know once you're certified so that we can go diving together. :D

Regarding snorkeling gear..

Here in LA/OC, there aren't very many places that will rent out snorkeling gear (mask, snorkel, fins, gloves, boots).. as tourists that come here don't really tend to do that very much. Catalina Island and a couple places in SD do rent them... however it's not worth it for you. You will be renting this gear a minimum of 3 days. More than likely, 5-7 days depending on how your class is scheduled. By the time you pay for the rental, you've probably paid 80-150% what you would have paid to purchase the gear. Plus this way, she'd get her own personal stuff perfectly suited to her and the type of diving she will do.

Here are some guidelines you can use when choosing personal snorkeling gear:

Mask:
------
Fit is everything. A mask must fit you comfortably; you'll have it on your face for 1-2 hours at a time!

What to look for:
- Good fit. See below.
- Soft silicone skirt for comfort.
- Good field of view

How to fit a mask:
1) Tilt your face up and lay the mask on it without using the strap or trying to seal by suction. Feel the edge of the skirt all the way around. See how closely the skirt follows the natural curves of your face. The closer the better.
2) After finding 2-3 good fits, look forward and put each mask on (again, no strap) and breathe in through your nose and hold it. See which ones hold suction better.
3) Put the strap around your head and tighten it just enough for the mask to stay in place (slightly snug). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. This is not comfy. if you need to over-tighten a mask to fit, then look for another one. Do the suction thing again.
4) With the mask on, determine the limits of your up/down/sideways peripheral vision.
5) Try to equalize your nose by pinching it with the mask on.
6) Choose favorite. If confused, go for most comfy one that has a good seal.

Special considerations:
1) Black vs. clear skirt. Personal choice. Go with clear if the black is too constricting for you.
2) Single vs double lens. Personal choice. If you wear glasses, a prescription is WAY cheaper to add to a double lens mask (~$40 each lens).
3) Narrow or girl faces - make sure the mask skirt isn't too wide for your face. Look for gaps on the temple area.
4) Eyebrow ridge. Try to choose one that doesn't bother you. Single lens masks will be better for this since they do not have a nose bridge.
5) Flat faces/flat upper jaw. Look for a mask that does not have such a pronouced curve in the bottom of the skirt. The closer it fits your face's natural lines, the better.
6. Maybe purchase a neoprene "slap trap" cover for the mask strap if you have long hair. The silicone may tug on your hair when taking the mask on/off if you aren't careful.

Snorkel:
--------
What to look for:
- Comfy silicone mouth piece
- For long hair: an attachment clip that won't snag your hair
- Color that matches your mask :dork2:

I would recommend the cheapest snorkel with some kind of wave-valve on the end. It will help to prevent water from waves from getting in.

Boots:
------
What to look for:
- 5mm thickness minimum for CA. Keep those toes warm!
- High top booties.
- Should fit a bit snug to prevent water from flowing in/out too fast. Neoprene will expand a little when wet, so go a size smaller if you're between sizes.
- COMFORT!!!!

Gloves:
-------
What to look for:
- 3mm thickess
- Should fit a bit snug to prevent water from flowing in/out too fast. Neoprene will expand when wet, so go a size smaller if you're between sizes.
- COMFORT!!!!
- Decent dexterity

Fins:
-----
What to look for:
- Strap fin. Not a full foot one for CA.
- Comfortable fit. See below.
- Color that matches your mask and snorkel :dork2:

How to fit fins:
- Fit them with the booties ON. Not with your bare foot or socks
- Comfortable fit WHILE EXTENDING YOUR FOOT in tippy toes. That's how you'll be swimming. Be sure you can stick a finger or two between your foot and the fin pocket. Otherwise it will rub you and make an ouchie.

Special considerations:
1) Full foot vs strap fin. Get strap. Full foot is for warm water where you don't use a boot. You'll need a boot to dive in CA.
2) Split fin vs blade fin. Personal choice. Splits are about $100 more expensive, but they give you the same propulsion with way less effort. Resulting in nicer-feeling ankles and hamstrings after a long dive. I prefer splits, but that is my personal choice. You can use whatever you want.

so pacific wilderness's prices,
$279 + bring your own "personal" gear
includes
* Tuition Fee, All Necessary Books, Log Book, Dive Table & Forms, All Rental Gear Including; Wetsuit, Hood, Weight Belt, Weights, B.C., Regulator System & Tanks. PADI Open Water Certification Card. (4) Open Water Dives. Catalina Island Boat Dives
Which to me seems like you pay the $279, and walk away with a cert.

Then looking at Dive n' Surf
$195 for classroom + 4 dives, $60 textbook, $100 non personalized gear rental, $149 required dive trip. so $510 total.

Am I missing something? That seems a $230 difference.

Also this does not include air fills is that right? How much can I expect those to run me?

also sports chalet quoted me about $600, so the Dive n' surf place's prices seemed more normal than Pacific Wilderness

I'm pretty surprised they're able to offer the course AND a boat trip to Catalina for that price. Just the trip alone goes for about 130-150 depending on what boat it is.

I can't speak for the quality of their courses personally, but I haven't heard anything bad about them <shrugs>. One thing I can say for the way DNS runs our courses is that our students dive full tanks on each dive. That means (typically) at least 40 minutes each dive. Every other shop I've had experience with, does half-tank dives at the beach. That means they only have about 20-25 minutes per dive where most of the time is spent doing the required skills and a token "tour". DNS believes that doing longer dives allows for more fun time and lets students really dive and not just do monkey tricks underwater. There's no rush to get out because we need enough air left over for the next dive. The most important thing in my view, is that the extra time spent swimming around gives each person more experience controlling their buoyancy and getting comfortable controlling their body underwater. It also lends itself to extra practice of skills and more fun. Not that a shorter dive can't accomplish meeting the requirements.... I'm not into just meeting minimum requirements.

I wouldn't worry about fills. They are typically included in an OW class. And if they're not, market price is about $6 each.

No matter where you take your class, it would benefit you to change a small detail about how you're looking at things. You're not buying a certification card. You are paying for the time it takes to train you. A prudent instructor isn't going to had you a certification card just because you paid for the course. A good instructor will not only meet the minimum requirements and will assure that you're both competent and comfortable to dive without instructor supervision. Please approach this with that mind set. Be open to learning and be receptive to guidance. You're doing yourself a disservice if all you do is go through the motions. If done properly, you'll have lots of fun AND be a safe, competent dive

Yeah Im surprised at the price difference too. While I do like the idea of the extra time and truly believe it's very beneficial, I could take another dive somewhere else to get more time than this for the same price (it seems like anyways). I'll think on it though.

Oh didn't mean to give the impression that I don't care about the lessons, I do want to learn the stuff, but when you're fresh out of college and still staring at some loan payments, price is a big factor in all facets of life.

FWIW some SoCal Dive shops discount their OW classes during the winter / spring. The water is colder and and visibility is undependable, which means it may take several extra weeks to get in the required dives. Ocean Enterprises in San Diego has a 2 for 1 deal on lessons in there latest tent sale flyer.

I'm pretty surprised they're able to offer the course AND a boat trip to Catalina for that price. Just the trip alone goes for about 130-150 depending on what boat it is.

I'm sorry, but if you're paying that much for a trip to Catalina you're getting ripped off. Try going through the boat and not a shop.

I was just out there for 100$$ and that included nitrox.

Sorry, back to the topic.

Regardless of where you and your gf go get certified, let us know when you're ready to go play :D

There are lots of places and buddies in the LA area. Have fun! :D

Go talk to Mike at New England Divers off clark ave / spring st in Long Beach. He's set you up right.. The shop does both Padi and NAUI.

BTW: Most boat prices are going up because of gas prices.. or so the story goes!!

hope this helps and enjoy the sport.

Back
Top Bottom