Polarized Masks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frontstmaui

Registered
Reaction score
I wear polarized Sunglasses (Maui Jims). As I was driving to the other side and noticed how incredibly clear the water was and how vibrant the colors were, I started to Wonder. Would Polarization in a Scuba/Snorkel Mask increase visibility or improve visual performance? Or is Polarization only effective above water?

Not trying to be ignorant here. Just thought of it last night and decided to post the question.

I think that Polarization would be a bad thing underwater, as if you assume light is uniformly scattered polarization by definition blocks 50% (or more) of the light only allowing vertically polarized light to pass through. In air, this is a good thing as it eliminates the light that is horizontally scattered by the water (or road) surface that causes glare, and allows you see through the waters surface.

Well light is critical u/w as water scatters and absorps light at an incredible rate when compared to air. Hence it gets very dark at depth and photographers have to be very careful to control white balance to avoid a severe blue shift.
maybe someone else has an opinion on this, but doubt its a good idea

I think that Polarization would be a bad thing underwater, as if you assume light is uniformly scattered polarization by definition blocks 50% (or more) of the light only allowing vertically polarized light to pass through. In air, this is a good thing as it eliminates the light that is horizontally scattered by the water (or road) surface that causes glare, and allows you see through the waters surface.

Well light is critical u/w as water scatters and absorps light at an incredible rate when compared to air. Hence it gets very dark at depth and photographers have to be very careful to control white balance to avoid a severe blue shift.
maybe someone else has an opinion on this, but doubt its a good idea

I now remember how polarization works. Thank you. For some reason I forgot that when you tilt your glasses sideways it doesn't work the same.

With that thought you are correct sir. The light absorbed by water does not, by nature, reflect the same because of the waters characteristics. I knew there was a reason some rocket scientist hadn't polarized a mask yet! :thumb:

I wear polarized Sunglasses (Maui Jims). As I was driving to the other side and noticed how incredibly clear the water was and how vibrant the colors were, I started to Wonder. Would Polarization in a Scuba/Snorkel Mask increase visibility or improve visual performance? Or is Polarization only effective above water?

Not trying to be ignorant here. Just thought of it last night and decided to post the question.

Polarization just cuts the glare. It might be useful for snorkeling, but besides that, I doubt it.

The polarization blocks reflected light off the surface of the water allowing you to see into the water better. It won't help underneath.

If light penetrating water becomes completely vertically polarized, then you would have total blackout if you tilted your mask side-ways underwater.

While that might be cool to see, I wouldn't want a mask doing that.

Back
Top Bottom