Took a dry suit for a test dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to admit, I had a lot of trepidation about doing this. I had visions of me hanging upside down, not being able to right myself, and totally freaking out, not so much out of panic but out of humiliation.

I couldn't believe the long process!! Who knew there was so much involved. Measuring for wrist and neck seals, getting sized for the undergarments, the suit, the rock boots. I had to borrow some fins from them because mine wouldn't fit over the boots. I also borrowed 7mm gloves and a hood. Oh, and I forgot. Before all that, you have to get a dry hose put on your 1st stage and you can't lose your little nut that they take out. I made sure I put that in a safe place. ;-)

I have to admit that putting my face in the water at Dutch Springs so I could put my fins on was not pleasant. And really, I was cold during the dive but not unbearably so. I was a little light. I could have used about 2 more lbs. and the fins felt like they were slipping off my feet. I felt way off with my trim and was even using my arms like a noobie because I felt like my fins weren't doing anything. LOL. I found myself kind of negative at depth and tried to inflate my suit but had trouble finding the inflator button. The instructor helped me with that the first time but the second time I found it. The third time I tried, I couldn't find it again. Was I narc'd at 50 fsw? LOL

When we ascended to the platform I had a bit of trouble trying to get the air out of my suit. I thought I was lifting my arm up enough but the instructor said to keep doing it. Finally I guess I got it out because I sunk back down to the platform and could stand on it. He gave me a "Ya done good" sign. :wink: It was really hard to see the bubbles coming out of my shoulder though. It was hard to tell if I was getting it or not.

On the way back in, he told me for being underweighted and having fins that were too big, I did really well. He told me I was a good diver. I was so shocked because I felt like a moron most of the time.

Anyway, thanks DUI for the test dive and the hat, and to all the people from different shops who helped out. Everyone was really friendly, helpful and loved to impart their knowledge and wisdom. Thanks to my buddy Ray for lending me a tank and being my lunch date. ;-)

DUI does put on a good show. Surprising how many people they move through a demo day like they had at Dutch today. Which suit did you try out?

If (when) you go down the drysuit road, their stuff is top-shelf.

DUI does it right, don't they? I never thought I would want a drysuit until the DOG Rally at Manatee Springs last year. I went as a event volunteer with my LDS, and had the opportunity to dive a TLS 350 and was sold. I've been diving my TLS all winter here in Florida and I'm loving my drysuit. My last drysuit dive for the summer, will be the Oriskany in late May. :( There is small learning curve with a drysuit, but after that, it's all good. :palmtree: Bob

I had a great time 2 weeks ago at the DUI Demo Day here in MA! I got to dive a TLS350 w/ dry gloves and rock boots and realized that I *really* like the configuration.... Damn.... now I just need some $$.....

I tried the TLS350. I think there may be a dry suit in my distant future. I really want to dive the California kelp beds one day and do some GW cage diving, and I think I would be much more comfortable in a dry suit. I don't know about diving the Jersey wrecks though. That whole deal has me very nervous. I think I am a WWW trapped in a cold water world (for now anyway). Interesting that FL divers use dry suits in the winter. Some of my friends in FL use 7mm in winter. I think the dry suit has the 7mm beat for sure.

If you decide to get a drysuit, make a number of dives in the above 40ft till you get used to trim and buoyancy. That's what I'm doing. It's good practice as buoyancy gets away from you much easier in this range and if you end up losing it you won't be saturated significantly.

I did my first dry suit dive today. It will take a few dives to get used to, but diving dry is great. Warm hands and toes rock!

FB if you are going to purchase one this year check out craigslist and the SB classifieds first ...usually a used one shows up at a deep discount.

DUI makes an excellent drysuit and their customer service is AAA... I am biased since they are located here is san diego not far from my house. If you purchase new then look into the CLX 450 ...very durable.

Make sure you think through the turbo soles verses rock boots ... turbo soles and springs on your fins is the way to go. If you go with rock boots you most likely will be purchasing the next size larger fins since wet suit booties are considerably smaller than rock boots ...

Finally if you dive allot then get zip seals on the wrists ... you won't regret them in a pinch if you blow one.

I've said it before on here.....the difficulty of drysuit diving is no where near what it's made out to be on the internet. If you use your BC as a BC and drysuit as a drysuit, you eliminate most of the problems people seem to have.

Dive within your comfort zone and don't over hype it for yourself. Just remember, it's nothing harder than learning any other new piece of dive gear.

Interesting that FL divers use dry suits in the winter. Some of my friends in FL use 7mm in winter. I think the dry suit has the 7mm beat for sure.

There are many, many divers in Florida who dive drysuits. I dove the Gulf last winter when the water temp was 59F, not cold for California or the PNW, but very cold for a warm weather type like me! :wink: :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom