Cyclon 5000 or Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sensitivity of the Cyklon can be adjusted simply by inserting a finger into the mouthpiece & rotating the white plastic barrel a quarter turn (any direction).

I kept hearing about the upstream design shutting off your air in failure mode, but have never heard of it happening. I finally decided to get ahold of a factory tech & here's what he had to say on the subject:

============
Bob
Never heard this either. With the very early upstream regs some twenty years ago this could possibly happen if everything went belly ups. The design of this type of reg the whole of the 2nd stage was upstream with a piston being forced by interstage pressure against a seat. By disturbing this piston you got air. In theory if a high pressure leak increased interstage pressure breathing became harder relative to the size of the piston to be moved, would always get air but harder to move piston. Jetstream is not of this design the servo is upstream not the whole working mechanism, and used to create a very small pressure drop which allows a secondary sleeve to deliver the air required. The area of the servo is so small that if the pressure increased in the instage delivery hose you would hardly notice the difference. Obviously those bad mouthing it ought to buy a new toothbrush, or understand the principals of servo mechanics.

Regards
Brian Bickell

Hello-

I am a new student. I have completed my NAUI classroom and pool work and am looking forward to my OW in Jamaica.

I wanted to resuscitate this thread. My LDS is a Poseidon dealer and he has me interested in the Poseidon Regulators.

How do I choose between the different models?

Xstream, Jetstream and Cyklon.....

I understand the Cyklon 5000 operates at a higher intermediate pressure....Does this mean I should not use it unless I am going to have a Cyklon as my Octopus Regulator as well?

I gather the Jetstream and Xstream may be better for cold water? I live in NJ.

Does the Jetstream have a shut off switch at the mouthpiece?

Is there a discernible difference in the ease of breathability between them?

Thank you,

Read

Whoa! A lot of interesting posts here. I am a major Poseidon fan and I would like to address a whole number of points you are bringing up in your posts.

1. Working and servicing. If you are not prepared to have your Poseidon regs serviced once a year by an authorised service or do it yourself if you know how, do not get a Poseidon. They work really well but need to be properly taken care of. It's like having a really top end sports car, it can do things an ordinary car won't do but needs to be properly serviced otherwise....

2. Somebody talked about the Navy? Actually the Navy authorises a number of regs for Cold Water use including the Cyclon, the Odin, the Jetstream and the X-stream. It also authorises the Apeks TX-50 and even the mares Proton Ice Exteme. I may have left some out, so I apologize in advance for that. I know that the latest Oceanic cold water reg has also been approved for Navy use. There may still be other cold water regs that are fine for recreational diving even if not ANU.

3. Somebody mentioned people who don't know about them playing around with them? Yup, a well intentioned guy who knows a lot about regs started playing with mine. Didn't get anywhere and nearly screwed up the reg for good. Official service sorted the problem.

4. Freeflow or not? Well I am not into freeflow. Period. I should be able to whip out my own octo and if not I still have my buddy's octo and if not we can buddy breathe. Freeflow sucks. It's great for OW classes but that's about it. And trying to breath freeflow in ice cold water, cheez!

5. Violent purge. Yup. I guess it's not for everybody. But heck, that thing sure purges!

6. Sideways bubbles. Well that is one of the other good reasons for using it. It just is that much more comfortable and easier to dive with.

7. You can rotate the head. That is real good when you have someone hanging on your octo. Much more comfortable for both of us. Just swing that thing around, stick in the other guys mouth and away we go. Easy.

8. Recommendation? Well, I would recommend the Xstream or the Jetstream. The Cyclon is an older model and I find it less practical.

2. Somebody talked about the Navy? Actually the Navy authorises a number of regs for Cold Water use including the Cyclon, the Odin, the Jetstream and the X-stream. It also authorises the Apeks TX-50 and even the mares Proton Ice Exteme. I may have left some out, so I apologize in advance for that. I know that the latest Oceanic cold water reg has also been approved for Navy use. There may still be other cold water regs that are fine for recreational diving even if not ANU.

You are right:

http://www.supsalv.org/webapp/anu/c...Id=4&title=1.4+REGULATORS,+COLD+WATER+SERVICE
and
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-scuba-equipment-discussions/225193-real-test-sorts.html

regards,

Hello-

I am a new student. I have completed my NAUI classroom and pool work and am looking forward to my OW in Jamaica.

I wanted to resuscitate this thread. My LDS is a Poseidon dealer and he has me interested in the Poseidon Regulators.

How do I choose between the different models?

Xstream, Jetstream and Cyklon.....

I understand the Cyklon 5000 operates at a higher intermediate pressure....Does this mean I should not use it unless I am going to have a Cyklon as my Octopus Regulator as well?

I gather the Jetstream and Xstream may be better for cold water? I live in NJ.

Does the Jetstream have a shut off switch at the mouthpiece?

Is there a discernible difference in the ease of breathability between them?

Thank you,

Read

I have dove with Poseidon's now over 20 years, and currently have a Xtreme Deep 90 with a 7' hose as my tech primary and a jetstream/odin as my second. The Jetstream does have a switch, but it is not on/off. It is designed to be put in the "-" position when the regulator is not being used and is in the water. If you have ever seen one of these things freeflow you would understand the need. All of them perform extremely well in cold water...especially the Xtreme and Jetstream.

If you are asking for a recommendation....I would go Jetstream. The design has been around for over 20 years and remains basically unchanged...that says something about how they were orginially designed. The cyklon is also also fine, but I just prefer the jetstream. You will hear people whine about service difficulty and cost. I don't think cost of service is really an issue anymore...and servicing by a qualified tech is not an issue. The issue is when someone not trained to service Poseidon's does so. That will lead to problems because they are different. Like Leapfrog said...if you aren't prepared to have them serviced yearly by a trained tech...don't buy one.

I love the Xtreme....easily the best performing regulator I have ever owned, especially at depth. They are a bit expensive to say the least however. If it were me, I would start with a Jetstream and if you elect to do more in time...like tech diving where you would need 2 complete sets...then go with an Xtreme and use the Jetstream for your second if you want.
You can use any octo you want....just have your shop plug it into an LP port and you are good.

Last edited:
its amazing 5000 great, jetstream adaptive = better, xtreme - its all over. I own all 3 - sorry.

Funny, I just stumbled into this thread. You might notice, that I started it. I am now a Poseidon Tech, thought I only rebuild my own Cyklon 2nds. I have rebuilt some Cyklon 300 firsts, but just for paper weights. Do wish I had one now for a pony. I have a great shop the takes care of the 1sts and the 2nds are easy to tune.
I have a bunch of 2nds that I can rotate around, all the same and a piece of cake to adjust and swap.
"the shop" wanted me to use Scubapro, so I grabbed a mk 17, a G250V and a S555. Disappointed in the mk 17 as it has a "special" port for the primary 2nd. With my Cyklon, both 2nds are the same. Also, I hate the bubbles from the 250 v in my face. Now a pool rig.
The Cyklon 1st is adjusted to 145 with a near full tank, but 172 at near empty. Yep, it changes.
I am now looking at the Dive Rite combo, the Xtreme 1st and the Jetstream 2nd. I think it would be great.
Good friend of mine dives with the Delta IV. He tried my Cyklon and then went out and bought one.
The two major problems with the Poseidons are finding a good shop and price. About every four years they change distributors. Also the Jetstream and Cyklons use different hoses, and different from everyone else.
I love my Cyklon and keep a constant watch on e-bay for another. I wish people would quit paying so much for them, I need another Cyklon 1st.

adios don O

I "inherited" two red Jetstream second stages and (I think) a Cyklon first stage from a junk box in the dive shop where I work. When I get time, I'm going to rebuild them and have a second regulator set. I'm a Poseidon tech and can confirm the stories on this thread about the second stages' being very finicky to adjust. But once they're adjusted, they stay there forever.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this reg, and couldn't believe my luck when the shop owner said I could have it. I may get a new black housing for one of the second stages so I can tell the primary from the octo.

My biggest complaint about Poseidons is that their service manuals don't cover every model of first stage they've built. Put differently, they've built more different models (identified with a four-digit model number) than they have included in their manuals, and the technician has to make an educated guess about what he's holding in his hand when he goes to rebuild it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom