Digital Camcorder Conundrums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Hurley

Reaction score
Please give me some slack if this question has been posted 4 billion times, but i was hoping for some help choosing a digital camcoder with the appropriate housing.

So far i have been looking at a Sony TRV 80 which retail on the net for around 1000US. I have seen it listed on a number of housing sites so i am assuming it will do the job nicely. I understand that it isnt the best on the market, but i was hoping it would be at the upper end for recreation. Is there anyone who can recommend me elsewhere. Understand that i am diving mainly between 10-35m so i need a camera that can work with minimal lighting and with a filter rather that a lighting system (the bank balance can only stretch so far :) My price range is somewhat limited to around 1000US give or take 20%

As far as housing go i get a little confused, ive looked at pretty much all the major suppliers and read what they have to say, but i still am a little hesitant to fork over so much money with out some feedback.

I definately want a electromagnetic controler, rather that mechanical. And a LCD screen attached.
So that rules out a number of the obviously cheaper options. Now for the big question "IS THERE ANYTHING OUT THERE THAT I CAN BUY WITHOUT THAT PAINFUL PRICE TAG?". Most of the really big suppliers are out of my league, they have some really nice stuff, but with serious price tags. So i suppose im asking for a mid-range option for my housing: Is there such a thing?

Back in relation to the digital camcorder - what can people recommend, forget all the bells and whistles like "photo taking", i just want a camera that will perform amazinging underwater and is small. Also i suppose i would like this camera for the best known price to man, so where do you recommend for CHEAP camcorders. Understand that i live in Australia and FEDEx has to be an option.

Well hopefully ive inspired someone to help me, its just that im dealing with so much hard earned cash i want to make sure i make an informed choice.

Cheers from Downunder

There aren't that many videographers posting here in this forum. I suggest you ask your question over on Digital Diver in their Moving Pixel forum.

First, the camcorder. Why a TRV 80 if you’re trying to save money? Yes, you can pay more for a 3 ccd chip pro model (which some would argue is NOT better for uw use), but you can pay a lot less for equivalent quality 1ccd video. Save $100-200 for a TRV 70 which lacks bluetooth (does anyone use that?) and has a 2.5 inch LCD monitor instead of 3.5, neither of which you’ll use underwater. And with either, you’re paying a lot for a 2 mp still camera feature, which I doubt you’ll use with much success underwater w/o lights. Look at the TRV 33 or 38, and save a few hundred more, and I think you get a 1 mp still. Or even the TRV19, which either has no still, or a 600K, I forget.
You can buy a 4 or 5 mp digital still camera with the savings.

Re the housing. Nothing inexpensive out there that I know of, esp with em controls.
Look at Backscatter’s Top Dawg ( www.backscatter.com) which I think is made for them by Light and Motion, but for a lot less than a L&M brand. Also, check out Undersea Video Housing http://www.underseavideo.com/ . For a number of reasons, I preferred the Top Dawg, but now Warren at USVH (it’s a small operation) has a new, smaller housing for the small Sonys which I’d like to see and handle. Both have e-m controls.

If even smaller size is important, see if anyone makes housings you'd like for the Sony PC110/120/101 (which you can probably find used on ebay). I'm not sure what the equivalent current Sony models are--maybe the 105? Sea and Sea made housing for the 110 and 120, but I doubt new ones are still available. AB Sea http://www.absea.net/index.htm claims the smallest housings, and they look pretty cool, but I know nothing about them beyond their website.
Good luck

Don't forget about Ocean Images Inc. housings that are electronic and reasonably priced.

Also, kelpdiver has some good points about the camcorder - a lot of the features on the higher end camcorders won't give you any added value when doing UW video: a basic camcorder is normally enough. The camcorders in the same series usually have the same ccd, lense etc. so the video quality will be the same.

/Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom