So what's the best computer to have diving up 3 times day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I like the Sunnto Cobra, but from hearing things I might like Aeris Atmos. Any input would be grateful. Btw, I am strictly a rec diver, no tec/wreck/cave. Also, 100-120 is my max. Thanks

There is no "best" for diving up to 3 times a day. What is your main concern here?

Suunto is more conservative than the Oceanic/Aeris (in default modes) computers. So it will disallow you from diving as long... If you want to push the no-deco limits, take the Aeris.

I believe battery life is longer on the Suunto, so if you're more concerned about replacing batteries often... voila...

I don't know the Cobra, but the Suunto D9 is HORRIBLE for user-replacing batteries (in fact, it's recommended you bring it in). So if you're more worried about having to replace batteries in a store... voila...

If you plan on using a mac for reviewing your dives, the Suunto has 3rd-party software that lets you do that.

Anyways... I don't think there's a right answer for you. All Aeris/Suunto computers are fine for your recreational diving concerns. fwiw, I dive an Oceanic VT3, and have been very happy with it.

To say which one is "Best" would be completely subjective without any criteria other than 3 dives a day.

You're price range puts you at the very botton of the range. I doubt you'll find one for that price from any mfg. Maybe e-bay???

Last edited:
I just want a relaible computer that will allow me to do up three dives a day and still be able to enjoy without having large deco stops. I want to stay safe, I already use gauges, I just want to have the computer do my calculations when I didve at different intervals during a dive. I still will follow the rule about deepest dive first

Any computer will be fine. Read the latest Scuba Diving mag. All computers except one had similar timings until the fourth dive at which point they diverged. And even on 4th and 5th dives I haven't felt bottom time restricted with a Suunto which is supposedly the most conservative.

In general any will do. There is nothing special about managing multiple dives per day.

If you plan intensive diving then nitrox may be a good idea. That being said the advice to ALWAYS (admitedly a dangerous word) buy a nitrox capable unit stands.

Pete

As Pete said, if you are going to be diving 3+ dives a day consistently, you should look at getting nitrox certified and make sure the computer is nitrox capable. Other than that, it's really up to what you want from a computer and what you like.

The advice I would give would be to go to different LDSs in your area and check them out. play with them and see what interface you like or seems most intuitive for you and easy to read.

I almost got a Cobra, but I ended up going with a DR Nitek Duo(got a good deal) and I love it. It's has pretty much everything I want from a computer. I am not a fan of AI and use a separate spg for air pressure. I also think the compass built into some of the computers is worthless and therefor I have an SK-7 wrist compass. For me, a regular compass is just much easier to read and in my diving, I depend on navigation quite a bit. It may be a little old school, but I figure if my computer crapped out on a dive, I want to know how much air I have in a failure situation like this. I don't like the idea of one single point of failure for ALL of my information. But this is all my preference. Many people really enjoy AI computers and it works great for them.

So, I would suggest figuring out how exactly you want to dive and what you really want out of your computer. I think this will help with your selection.

Good luck with your decision making and this is just my subjective input! :)

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't get too hung up on the conservative/liberal algorithms. I really don't think is that much of a major difference.

:zen:

As was mentioned earlier, all computers will keep you out of deco, and you probably won't even be able to notice the difference in algorithms.

Nitrox was mentioned as a way to avoid accumulating as much nitrogen if you do 3 dives a day repeatedly. HOWEVER, I note that you mention 100-120ft as your maximum depth. If you regularly go to that depth, nitrox can present its own problems (you'll learn all about it if/when you get certified -- short version: the more oxygen in your nitrox mix, the less deep you can go and not get poisoning).

It sounds like you're a beginning diver looking for his first computer but wanting to make sure it's still a good choice later on when you do more? For that, the Suunto is a great choice. The Aeris is a great choice. At the same price I would go with Aeris simply for the user-replaceable batteries. It's also not clear what your price point is: For example, I strongly prefer the hoseless computers (Aeris Elite/Atom / Suunto Vytec) but those tend to run about $300 more.

Anyways, have fun picking out a computer.... You really will be happy with whichever you pick... Just go and dive more!

As was mentioned earlier, all computers will keep you out of deco, and you probably won't even be able to notice the difference in algorithms.

Nitrox was mentioned as a way to avoid accumulating as much nitrogen if you do 3 dives a day repeatedly. HOWEVER, I note that you mention 100-120ft as your maximum depth. If you regularly go to that depth, nitrox can present its own problems (you'll learn all about it if/when you get certified -- short version: the more oxygen in your nitrox mix, the less deep you can go and not get poisoning).

It sounds like you're a beginning diver looking for his first computer but wanting to make sure it's still a good choice later on when you do more? For that, the Suunto is a great choice. The Aeris is a great choice. At the same price I would go with Aeris simply for the user-replaceable batteries. It's also not clear what your price point is: For example, I strongly prefer the hoseless computers (Aeris Elite/Atom / Suunto Vytec) but those tend to run about $300 more.

Anyways, have fun picking out a computer.... You really will be happy with whichever you pick... Just go and dive more!

You pegged me right, i am new I want a computer to grow with. I only mentioned the 120 max. depth to let everyone know that I am planning and have only interests in staying rec dive limits. I am sure 90-100 will be my most. I only do tropical dives since I live in Tampabay, FL and maybe a few springs, but 99% tropical diving.

You pegged me right, i am new I want a computer to grow with. I only mentioned the 120 max. depth to let everyone know that I am planning and have only interests in staying rec dive limits. I am sure 90-100 will be my most. I only do tropical dives since I live in Tampabay, FL and maybe a few springs, but 99% tropical diving.

First of all: damn lucky you! Nice warm clear waters!!!

Either one is just as good: they both do Nitrox (which you will care about). Neither do wireless (those would be the Aeris Elite T3 or the Suunto Vytec).
Suunto uses a slightly more 'hip' decompression model...

Do you have a regular dive buddy? One concern is that you may want to get a similar computer to his so that you both have the same deco stops.

Otherwise I would honestly go with whichever one you can get a better deal on.

Back
Top Bottom