How Afraid are you of Sharks?

• Shark!? Where? Eek, a shark!

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • I'd pee my wetsuit if I hadn't all ready.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I don't give them a second thought (just a first).

Votes: 58 25.0%
  • I don't give them a second thought (or a first).

Votes: 35 15.1%
  • Shark? Oh, how cute! Let me get a picture with it.

Votes: 103 44.4%
  • If a shark bites me, I'll bite it back!

Votes: 22 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the only time I have any real concern about sharks is when I'm spearfishing. then they can be a PITA, but so far I've managed to both not kill one & not give one my fish. I like seeing them, but when I'm spearing I'd rather not have to mess with them.

Yep. I always thought I wasn't afraid of sharks. Until one day I was free dive spearing and had shot two snappers. After the second one a rather large reddish brown (I'm no expert but I assume it was a bull) came up from the deep right at me as I reloaded the gun and cocked it. He swam around me for what seemed to be a few minutes. To say I wasn't afraid at that point would be a lie. It wasn't panic but it was clear who was in control. If he'd wanted to move in and grab the fish, taking my hand or arm...there isn't much I could have done. I'd have to say it's more than respect when shooting fish....maybe more like playing golf with there's lightning in the area. You just never know...But out of 100 plus spearing days on the boat, that was the only time it was that close so...I've done it many times since.

While I'm not afraid of most of the sharks I might encounter on a dive, I am full of respect for these creatures & their awsome power. As a diver I'm more afraid of missing a shark then of encountering one.

I am, however, afraid ABOUT sharks. I'm absolutely terrified that some species may become extinct duriing my lifetime. I'm not certain that any conservation measures will work as they become scarcer, and the value of their fins for what is probably the most wastful of meals increases. Unlike the case of ivory, where patroling habitats is possible though difficult, protecting sharks from the apex predator is a totally impractical affair.

It will be impossible to sufficiently curtail harvest of fins through regulatory action, since making their taking or sale illegal would only make them more valuble. We must try to curtail demand through education and cultural change & sadly I fear in this race against time, we will lose.

OK...I voted on this poll when it first came out. Scared of sharks? Nope, however....

Yesterday, diving off of Morehead City, NC we went down on a wreck and found 5-6 sand tigers. Great! I've dived wrecks with sand tigers several times before. Usually, they'll slowly go about their way paying no mind to you.

This time they seemed to be much more curious about us. Several times, they would slowly swim right at you...kinda like a slow motion, underwater version of "chicken". They'd turn away about 3 feet from my face. Their actions were not aggressive in any way, but I'll admit the first time I had a shark face-off with me...well, my SAC rate pretty much went to s**t.

Scared of sharks? Nope...but yesterday reminded me that anything can change at 97 feet.

Jan

Never thought a shark would worry me until I was diving in poor visibility in some dense kelp, and noticed a large, dark shadow was swimming in the twilight, just in sight.
I was conscious of the possibilities but continued to be awed by the beauty before me.
Minutes later, suddenly something grabbed me by the fin and pulled!
A micro second of fear swept over me, and then I saw the large harbor seal playfully cruising up on my partner to do the same nip, tuck, and fly away routine. If it had been a hungry shark I would have been an awful brunch choice for it. (Neoprene and aluminum, yuck).
I love sea mammals, they are what I would want to be, if I had a species choice in the next incarnation.

Several times, they would slowly swim right at you...kinda like a slow motion, underwater version of "chicken". They'd turn away about 3 feet from my face. Their actions were not aggressive in any way, but I'll admit the first time I had a shark face-off with me...well, my SAC rate pretty much went to s**t.
This is very common shark behavior (maybe Dr.Bill can give us a clearer exact insight). I had a similar experience last year with a Squatina californica, they come right up to you and turn away at the last minute. I was on a rebreather, so he got real close. The shark did this a few times before swimming off. When we got out of the water, my buddy said:" Man, you are so ugly, no wonder you scared the son of a b**** off!". :rofl3:

I love sea mammals, they are what I would want to be, if I had a species choice in the next incarnation.
If I were you, I would be more specific about your choice....you might come back as a Manatee!:D

Sharks don't bother me, women however there is another story. They bite hard, will turn on a dime and take it with them. Just plain evil, I tell you! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sharks, no sharks round here.

Crocs ate all the sharks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom