Missing diver Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks,

Alan and his dive buddy are close personal friends. I've just returned from seeing his family and offering what support I can and I've been asked to let you know that the dive charter docks tomorrow night and we will know more by the weekend.

Until then, for the sake of the family can we keep quiet on all conjecture or speculation.

Thanks for the kind comments, thoughts and prayers

Ron Mahoney

Agreed. Ron Mahoney keep us posted.

Thanks

Still no news ??

One good thing about the Sharm area is that there are a ton of boats around there so if he was caught in current and was not able to be spotted by his dive boat there is a chance that he could be picked up by another boat. Depending on how well equipt that boat is (communications eqipment and language barriers) word might not have gotten out yet. Let's hope for the best.

Any news?

Any news on the lost diver? The wreck he was on is very close to some islands (Gobal, Taweela etc...)... It is closer to the El Gouna Area than it is to Sharm El Sheikh...

I hope all turns out well...

Folks,

Thanks for the kind comments and expressions of concern voiced on the board. I appreciate that you are asking for news based purely on your concern for a fellow diver rather than morbid curiosity so here's what we can let you know.

Alan was diving as part of a team of four. Three of the divers he'd dived with for years in numerous conditions throughout various locations in the world -including some of the UK's most demanding dives. They had with them an experienced Egyptian guide. Having descended to the engine room the group followed the gantry around the engines before dropping down to see the engine room telegraph. Alan was third in line. For some reason (as yet unexplained and I want to avoid any conjecture) after looking at the telegraph Alan did a 180 turn and signalled to the last diver in the group that he'd lost the front two and that they should work their way out.

At this point they believed they were working their way out of the wreck but soon found themselves in narrowing areas. The visibility deteriorated and Alan's buddy found himself in a restricted area with steel all around. He could not see his hand in front of his face and realised he was trapped. With his air running low he felt around the wall to the point where his hands just kept going forward, he followed this and then saw the glow of blue water ahead. His buddy left the wreck near the funnel area and was on his pony heading up. He raised the alarm as Alan had not been seen - the dive guide and other diver also returned to the charter vessel.

An air and sea search has been conducted for Alan and local dives have searched the engine room but so far this has been to no avail.

As a further professional search of the wreck is being planned, if anyone can supply any plans, drawings or video footage of the engine room of the Rosalie Moller - your help would be appreciated.

I'll try and keep you posted.

Best regards

Back
Top Bottom