So what's the best computer to have diving up 3 times day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Nitek DUO. Eventually lots of people go to a advanced nitrox and deco class, and the nitek can take you there. It's not much more expensive anyways.

As was mentioned earlier, all computers will keep you out of deco, and you probably won't even be able to notice the difference in algorithms.

No computer will keep you out of deco. :no Not unless there is some new gizmo on one that will automatically haul you unattentive butt up to a shallower depth. What keeps you out of deco is your brain which entails turning it on and using it while diving.

As for a computer, I have used Cobro and Vytecs on 3-5 dives per day for a week with many of the dives being 100-130 feet at the deepest. To maximize your bottomtime time one needs to plan dives at multiple levels. Taking an AOW course where this is taught and you go through this with tables will really help in understanding this. This will then make using a computer as tool to achieve this much easier.

I do the Flower Gardens trips which involve 5 dives on the first day, all to a depth of 80 to 100 ft and more. Subsequent days back off to 4 dives per day of similar depths. I have done the trips on air but only use nitrox now. My buddy and I use Oceanic computers which seem to be both safe and the leasts limiting on bottom times.

No computer will keep you out of deco. :no Not unless there is some new gizmo on one that will automatically haul you unattentive butt up to a shallower depth. What keeps you out of deco is your brain which entails turning it on and using it while diving.
Ok Mr. Pedantic. However, all the computers I've seen will tell you how much time you have to spend here before you have to start making a safe ascent + safety stop. Then they beep to tell you it's time to head up. They also beep if you're ascending too fast or forget your safety stop. It doesn't require much brain use other than hearing the beep and obeying the suggestions. HOWEVER it is still always a good idea to know how to plan a dive.

As for a computer, I have used Cobro and Vytecs on 3-5 dives per day for a week with many of the dives being 100-130 feet at the deepest. To maximize your bottomtime time one needs to plan dives at multiple levels. Taking an AOW course where this is taught and you go through this with tables will really help in understanding this. This will then make using a computer as tool to achieve this much easier.

I heartily disagree. Even planning a dive at multiple leves can't take into account your descent rate, and the fact that at most dive locations you REALLY wander off the plan (especially when natural features make you ascend and descend by 10-20 ft as you're looking at things). A computer is just absolutely better at observing WHAT you're doing, and how this is affecting your nitrogen/oxygen exposure. Again, not suggesting you skip planning, but simply arguing that computer use is the best way to safely maximize your bottom time if that's your intention.

Somehow I feel this topic has wandered very far from the original question....

Ok Mr. Pedantic. However, all the computers I've seen will tell you how much time you have to spend here before you have to start making a safe ascent + safety stop. Then they beep to tell you it's time to head up. They also beep if you're ascending too fast or forget your safety stop. It doesn't require much brain use other than hearing the beep and obeying the suggestions. HOWEVER it is still always a good idea to know how to plan a dive.

I heartily disagree. Even planning a dive at multiple leves can't take into account your descent rate, and the fact that at most dive locations you REALLY wander off the plan (especially when natural features make you ascend and descend by 10-20 ft as you're looking at things). A computer is just absolutely better at observing WHAT you're doing, and how this is affecting your nitrogen/oxygen exposure. Again, not suggesting you skip planning, but simply arguing that computer use is the best way to safely maximize your bottom time if that's your intention.

Somehow I feel this topic has wandered very far from the original question....

It has in a way gone off topic a little, I am just looking buy a computer and from I have read and talked with people, I am now looking at the pro plus 2 or aeris ai. Cobra model is nice but I think I am going to stay away from AL products at this time.

I frequently recommend the Mares M1 or M2 - inexpensive, nitrox capable, download option available, constant on backlight, gauge mode, rated to 500fsw, uses AAA batteries which are easy to change, and has a floodable battery compartment (which works as I can testify to). They can be found for just under $200 and you can easily add bungee to replace the wrist band (depth compensating, and easily adjustable.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom