BCD for large divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd assume you'd have a LOT more issues with the wetsuit than with the BCD. Did you have to get a custom-sized wetsuit? I'd expect an XL or XXL BCD should fit you fine.. just walk into any store and try some on. Most rental places will have those available.

No vacation rental place that I'm aware of will rent a BP/W. Maybe a tech diving store will. But personally I wouldn't suggest you learn how to dive in a BP/W. (Using those requires you adjust all the sizing correctly, and add trim weights appropriately. They're excellent for when you know how to dive, but only if your instructor uses one and knows how to adjust it for you....). Learn to dive with standard gear you can rent anywhere. Then you can worry about changing stuff to make your dives better....

Basically, there are two big measurements that will matter: length from shoulder to hip, and waist size. Your weight is completely irrelevant. Thankfully, most BCDs are highly adjustable, which is why I suspect the XL or XXL would fit.

Just remember if you're wearing a thick wetsuit, your waist/chest is gonna be even bigger...

If you are ever in Key Largo, we, at Silent World, rent Halcyon back plate and wings!

Pat

I 2nd the Zeagle Tech very adjustable BC. I like the integrated weight pockets 30-lb capacity helps offset the wetsuit 7mm boyancy with a steel 120. I was tired of pulling up a weight belt always falling off.

A Zeagle Ranger or Tech is modular so you can easily change the shoulder straps and the waist seperately.

Or Try the BP/W.

I'm 6'6" and 350lbs. I have a Zeagle Ranger and I love it. I'm using a XL shoulder and a XXL cumberbun. It fits like a glove, and still has room to grow. As for a wetsuit, any of these new "stretchy" ones will give you lots of room.

Definitely should take a look at a backplate and wing system. I once help a large diver at our shop when he intended to convert to the BP+Wing system. It worked well. But I had to made some modification on the harness for him. Although I personally suggested againest the modification, it was a special request. Due to his large size, he foresee himself having some problem getting in and out of a standard hog harness (which I tried to convinced that it's not necessary the case), so I added a quick release buckle on one side of the the shoulder strap..................

The point I am trying to make is if you don't fancy the standard hog harness, there are other alternatives..................

Interresting comments and suggestions. Now how the heck would someone get to try all these different manufacturers? I am assuming they are not just out there for your use as demos or am I wrong? My local dive shop has various new BCDs, but not sure of demos. To be fair these are all questions I should have asked my instructor and will be sure to do so during my pool dive 6/2

Yah. What they said about the Zeagles.

Give ScubaToys a call and they can set you up with your very own "Franken-Zeagle" made up of different sized parts that will fit just fine. At least, that's what I did.

Gears for demo are always a limitation (at least here in our market). Many times I hope we could offer more gears for divers to try them out for themselves to help them make their decision.

Probably the best alternative we all have these days are our dive friends and buddies.

Certainly try to talk to more people. Most important is if you aren't in a rush to make a decision, do take your time to do some research. Hope you will find what you are looking for soon!!!

Interresting comments and suggestions. Now how the heck would someone get to try all these different manufacturers? I am assuming they are not just out there for your use as demos or am I wrong? My local dive shop has various new BCDs, but not sure of demos. To be fair these are all questions I should have asked my instructor and will be sure to do so during my pool dive 6/2

Every dive shop picks a list of manufacturer's whose stuff they carry. What you need to do is find a local dive shop that carries the manufacturer you care about. Zeagle has been brought up a few times in the recommendations, but I'll mention that Zeagle is one of those brands very few stores carry. So go to Zeagle's website and see if there's a dealer in your area, then go visit that dealer. Do not just order the BC without trying it.

Again, if you DO decide to go BP/W. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you have someone who can help you set it up right. With a regular BCD, you pull the straps and all is tight and 'fitting'. With a BP/W (hog harness) you have to adjust the actual BP/W for your size BEFORE putting it on. If you don't know what you're doing you're going to have a very poorly fitting BC, which will make your dive suck. You can't adjust it when you're in the water and discover it's shifting all over the place.

Have you tried my suggestion yet though? Just walk into your local store and ASK them if they have a BCD that fits you. I think you'll be surprised to find that they will have several.

Again, if you DO decide to go BP/W. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you have someone who can help you set it up right.

I've sold literally 100's of BP&W's to newer divers that had nobody to help them set it up or adjust the harness.

Somehow they all managed.

Sure it helps to have a local mentor, but we are talking about certified divers and a type of BC, not neurosurgery.

There are plenty of web resources to help the new BP&W user.

I do recommend the new BP&W user devote some time to set up, and to plan a few simple dives to sort out their gear, but that's sound advice for ANY new piece of equipment.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom