Tying the bungee loop on the light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have pictures of how to tie the bungee loop on the back of a lighthead for clipping it off when it is switched on?

Ah - interesting, they seem to just make a loop from bungee and attach it with cave line. I've seen it done just from bungee too (by a GUE instructor). I guess it probably doesn't matter too much as long as it's secure.

Ah - interesting, they seem to just make a loop from bungee and attach it with cave line. I've seen it done just from bungee too (by a GUE instructor). I guess it probably doesn't matter too much as long as it's secure.

Depending on the lighthead, the cave line may be more secure than just bungee. The newer Salvo's, for example, have a pretty big groove on the tail where you can attach a bungee loop and it will stay in place. On the older lightheads without that groove (like mine in the picture in the link) you have to tie the loop onto the gland on the back. In that case a bungee will slide right off. Cave line, if tightened down very snugly, will grip the gap on the gland and stay in place.

My GUE instructor also made it out of just bungi without any cave line.

I have my bungee loop tied on with cave line. I have an older HID without the big ridge. I found the cave line slipping off the strain relief. As a bandaid on a dive when it slipped off, I put a zip tie on the cord about 1/4 inch below the strain relief so that it stops the slide of cave line. I ended up just leaving the zip tie there.

On my older Salvo lighthead, without the nicely machined groove, I took a small round file and filed some radii at the points of the hex between the nut and the part that screws in the ballast assembly..That made for a nice spot for the cave line to sit in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom