Tank racks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two of the roll control four tank set ups. One on each side of the cockpit of my boat. I mounted them on boards and then to the existing fishing rod holders mounted under the gunnels. When I switch boats, all that will be left are four holes in the rod racks on each side of the cockpit from the "L" brackets I have on the boards. The racks have held in some pretty rough seas.

I use the Roll Control brackets mounted to my gunwales on the anodized aluminum Roll Control rails. So far they have worked well even when the boat gets air. Since I only dive myself and my wife from the boat I rarely carry more than four tanks. On a few occasions I have carried tanks for four divers but that is a crowd but the rails can accomadate that many in their standard length. N

The Pelican rack doesn't look as though it would hold assembled rigs. Would it, or are the wires up too high?

I ordered this system directly from the manufacturer:

Roll Control System - Diving, Fishing, Boating Accessories

I got everything I needed to carry 2 sets of doubles and 4 individual tanks with shipping for about $200. The system works great! I would not trust the suction cup type due to the weight of the tanks and potential damage/injury if they got loose.

The installation is extremely easy - you need only a pencil, drill, a few bolts/washers - and you're done. It took me about 30 minutes to install the system. (Before I left the house I fitted all the pieces together in the aluminum rack though, this only took a few minutes).

I put the racks on each side of my cockpit. I got the adjustable type and they fold down when not in use.

The Pelican tank tacks do no hold up on a boat - the plastic coating cracks and then the steel wire starts to rust. It's just my opinion, but DO NOT BUY THE PELICAN RACK!!!
The suction cup racks are very nice. Under any conditions that you will sanely encounter, they WILL hold. But geez....the price is outrageous. Even the wholesale components were too much.
I went with a bunch of the Roll Control aluminum 48" tracks with the PVC molded locking brackets without the strap. I ran some of them on a router so my fat 8" tanks would nestle a little better. I made a bunch of bungee loops to keep them all locked into place during hard offshore runs. I only installed 14 tank holders - I could always stow another slew in the otherwise totally worthless head/cabin on my center console.
Without the tanks, the racks are all but invisible under the cockpit bolsters. When I can keep my boat at the house, then I'll fabricate a tank gearing station over the livebait well on the transom. It'll make a nice backrest without the tanks too.
What you mount for boat may be totally different. I could have used dense foam cradles and kept all the tanks in the fish boxes. My wife liked that idea, except it's murder on a moving boat to keep hauling stuff out.

Another vote for Roll Control. If you spent the whole day searching different forums you will come to the same conclusion. I think they have a configuration to work in every boat and are pretty inexpensive.
I've run in some really bad conditions and was shocked that the tanks stayed put.

I bought some of the suction cup mounts and they are very nice. You need a slick, smooth surface for them to stick with strength.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom