Tipping Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipping an instructor is an insult. A job well done is acknowledged by a handshake. Would you tip your doctor or dentist? Tipping is for dive staff at a resort or boat crew on a trip. Although you may tip the Captain in some parts it is not acceptable in all circumstances. These people are professionals and as such should already receive adequate monetary compensation for their services. A 'gift' to show appreciation is acceptable. A fine wine, or bottle of beverage of choice, is a good option. But don't ever refer to it as a 'tip'.

Tipping an instructor is an insult. A job well done is acknowledged by a handshake. Would you tip your doctor or dentist? Tipping is for dive staff at a resort or boat crew on a trip. Although you may tip the Captain in some parts it is not acceptable in all circumstances. These people are professionals and as such should already receive adequate monetary compensation for their services. A 'gift' to show appreciation is acceptable. A fine wine, or bottle of beverage of choice, is a good option. But don't ever refer to it as a 'tip'.

Dive instructors are no where near the same league as a doctor or dentist...
Oh , and a friend of mine who is a cancer doctor receives gifts from patients all the time as a sign of appreciation.
As you said "are professionals and as such should already receive adequate monetary compensation:...How much did your instructor make teaching your ow course?
Maybe he made $8./$10. and hour of instructing you,if he was lucky.
I am an instructor with over 30 years teaching experience.Do I accept a tip??
You bet I do..Am I insulted accepting a tip?? No way..If anything I feel insulted if a tip is not offered.I take it as the person does not appreciate what I have done for them.An instructor does alot more for you than the staff at a resort .Oh and the DM you tip at the resort is most likely an instructor working as a DM because teaching does not pay the bills.He/she also most likely has another job on the island to make ends meet too.

I agree with Oly I've only been teaching for 14 years and in that time have only recieved 1 tip. was it expected? NO but it should be accepted. Didn't your instructor teach you the 1st 2 rules of SCUBA? 1. never hold your breath 2. always tip your instructor. Plain and simple if you don't want to acknowledge the efforts of instructors don't but please don't try to tell others not to either. Do what you do and live life doing it.

What if your instructor is resort staff or boat crew? Most resort food and beverage staff are union, and as such most make a better wage with better benefits than your typical dive instructor; do you tip resort F&B staff? That may be a rhetorical question considering where you are from. Let's see, if you tip heavy for a heavy pour that might kill you on the drive home, do you tip the instructor that made you learn how to breath underwater without a mask? Please don't come to Hawaii!

An instructor does alot more for you than the staff at a resort .Oh and the DM you tip at the resort is most likely an instructor working as a DM because teaching does not pay the bills.He/she also most likely has another job on the island to make ends meet too.

For many resort divers, the resort staff (who are mostly instructors) teaches them the important things about diving in the waters they mostly dive in, unlike their land-locked hometown dive instructor.

I sure hope ScubaBoard doesn't ever succeed in eliminating all the lame instructors. Remedial instruction is the quickest way to the big tip! :D

It is what it is. Yes I do tip an instructor that teaches me skill that could save my life. In all my steps of training from open water up to Instructor trainer and my Emergency response training through my technical training I never stop stop learning and am greatfull to instructors that can teach me new things.

As for diving in Hawaii been there and the diving wasn't that great. The waters we dive in locally aren't that great either with temperatures dipping to below freezing and viz at 0 feet. But for a small portion of us we enjoy it and invite anybody that is willing to brave to come join us.

As for diving in Hawaii been there and the diving wasn't that great.

As for diving in Hawaii, I begged a specific poster not to come. Many proficient divers visit Hawaii and do not see the unique beauty because they did not have the proper guide (instructor) &/or attitude. I have conducted more training dives in the last couple years than you have total dives, but I would not let your IT status stop me from helping you get more out of your diving.

Did you happen to post a dive report of your Hawaii dive trip(s)? I'd like to read about your so-so experience. I and many of my peers have received significant tips from more experienced and more traveled divers than you, for some of the best dives of their life here in Hawaii.

As for tipping instructors, it just depends: Type of dive operation (independent, dive shop, resort, live aboard). Type of cert (OW, Specialty, Tech, Pro). Location (quarry, lake, ocean, cold & murky, warm & clear). And many other variables; when in Rome..... :D

If the instructor would have wanted a tip, he/she would have charged you more for the course........But, if he/she insists on one, give them this tip---never bet on a 3 legged horse.....

Tipping an instructor is an insult.

I wouldn't mind being insulted more often.

I go above and beyond to put out the best divers I can and don't expect anything more than my standard fee, but it costs me. Rare are the classes where all <fill in the number> students make all sessions or are able to make the OW dives at their scheduled times. Getting them certified means extra trips and time. Depending on the site, fuel costs for a day can run up to $50.

I'm not a pushover when it comes to scheduling, but life happens. I'm contemplating a new fee for any instruction that takes place outside of the stated schedule. That would ensure I make no less than $4.85/hr for a class of four.

I look at instructors as a professional who's expertise I am paying for, rather than a service provider who should be tipped. I do lean towards thinking it's kinda insulting to tip them like they are some high school kid making 5 bucks an hour. That is not to say that I don't appreciate good instruction, because I definitely do, but I try to show my appreciation by spreading the good word about the instructor, directing other students their way, or maybe buying them lunch or some token of appreciation.

Back
Top Bottom