Drysuits and sunscreen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
OK folks, here comes the stupid question of the day: is anybody aware of a sunscreen that's safe to use while diving a dui tls-350 with latex seals? i do a lot of multi-day stuff and am always having to make the decision to either get some melanoma or use a sunscreen that's going to destroy my suit. i realize that it sounds like a bonehead question but don't think that i've ever seen it addressed before.

dui has no answer to this. if anybody's got real world experience or if there's another manufacturer out there that knows about this i'd really appreciate hearing about it.

thanks,

erik

I think its an excellent question and would like to know the answer too!

I have the same drysuit - I still use sunscreen though I suspect some types might have stuff in it that degrades the latex faster. However, I would rather replace seals more frequently than get skin cancer. :14:

This is a question I had never thought to ask, and a really really good one!

OK folks, here comes the stupid question of the day: is anybody aware of a sunscreen that's safe to use while diving a dui tls-350 with latex seals? i do a lot of multi-day stuff and am always having to make the decision to either get some melanoma or use a sunscreen that's going to destroy my suit. i realize that it sounds like a bonehead question but don't think that i've ever seen it addressed before.

dui has no answer to this. if anybody's got real world experience or if there's another manufacturer out there that knows about this i'd really appreciate hearing about it.

thanks,

erik

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked but did not.

I also would be interested in the answer to this question since I onw a DUI FLX 50/50 dry suit.

Oily skin, oily sunscreen, either way it is hard on the suit. In my experience the neck seal gets soft and mushy before the wrist seals, which makes sense when you think about it.

I worry very little about the brand of sun screen and just use a good SPF 30 suncreen. I do however ensure the seals are powdered with talc inside and out before I put the suit on and then again as soon as the seals are dry. My impression is that the talc helps absorb the oil and prevents some of it from ending up in the latex and during storage again helps to absorb any remaining oil in/on the latex.

This is a big issue in kayaking dry suits and dry tops. Kayaking dry tops and suits use the same latex seals or sometimes even thinner seals. And obviously many kayakers have a high concern about sun exposure. Especially white water kayaking where sun protection can also be easily washed off and you wear a helmet, not a hat with a brim.

The subject is discussed frequently in the kayaking web sites, but I haven’t been keeping in touch for a few years now, so I don’t have an answer other than do a general search on the web.

The two web sites I used to frequent the most are Boatertalk and NPMB.

Let me preface this by saying that I hate sunscreen; not because I like the tan look (I don't) but because I hate the greasy feeling they leave and the "stink" of the lotion. I'm also cursed with skin that goes from mother-of-pearl to lobster red in about 15 minutes in the sun, so it's a necessary evil...

That said, the only thing I can marginally stand is "Bullfrog" brand sunscreen. Someone turned me on to the stuff a few years ago as a waterproof sunscreen that wasn't the creamy slime most manufacturers use. It's an alcohol-based sunblock - waterproof, and SPF 36+. They also have a spray-on version. You put it on, rub it in (gotta work fast), and you're good to go in a couple of minutes.

Still stinks...but at least it's not a gloppy, greasy mess like most of the other brands. :) If they could just get some of this stuff that would smell decent...

I don't know how well it does with regards to the latex seals, long term, but I get about three years out of a set of seals up here, diving pretty frequently.

I don't do drysuits but I would suggest getting one of the skin creams that have an SPF rather than use a "suntan lotion" per se. Put it on before you go out and it will absorb into your skin and be more effective than anything you put on just as you put just as you are starting to be in the sun. Do re-apply after coming out of the water.

Personally, I think those slimy, waterproof sunscreens are fairly ineffective! If you are sweating even the slightest bit, they tend to not be absorbed into the skin and readily rub off where clothing touches or where your body might have creases.

Let me preface this by saying that I hate sunscreen; not because I like the tan look (I don't) but because I hate the greasy feeling they leave and the "stink" of the lotion. I'm also cursed with skin that goes from mother-of-pearl to lobster red in about 15 minutes in the sun, so it's a necessary evil...

Try the Neutrogena Ultra-sheer Drytouch sunblock. It dries completely grease-free and has a very mild nice scent. You can get it all the way up to SPF 85, but the 30 and 45 are the most commonly found in stores. It's sweat and water proof, and works great for diving.

Try the Neutrogena Ultra-sheer Drytouch sunblock. It dries completely grease-free and has a very mild nice scent. You can get it all the way up to SPF 85, but the 30 and 45 are the most commonly found in stores. It's sweat and water proof, and works great for diving.

I like several from the Neutrogena series too, like Sensitive Skin and especially the Titanium, although the Titanium leaves a gray layer on your face and for quite awhile you look like zombie. I generally try not to worry about the seals as much as my fair skin. Yet I opt for less runny lotions, and lotions I would not need to constantly re-apply. I also try to avoid applying right before donning.

There is no way around it though – pulling neck seal or clammy undies over your head on hot day, and playing with leaking mask do rub lotions off.

I do however ensure the seals are powdered with talc inside and out before I put the suit on and then again as soon as the seals are dry. My impression is that the talc helps absorb the oil and prevents some of it from ending up in the latex and during storage again helps to absorb any remaining oil in/on the latex.

Thanks for this good reminder. I have gotten sloppy with talking because I don’t seem to have much trouble sliding seals on. I had started to skip this, and especially in summer time it’s good to do it for this purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom