Scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Three man team, at max depth, diver 1 goes OOG, diver 2 donates. Who shoots the bag and who calls deco? I'd have 3 shoot the bag, but now who is in the best position to call the deco?

#2, the one most in control of and eye-to-eye with #1. #3 follows their lead spooling the bag. At least that's how I would prefer to divy up responsibilities.

Three man team, at max depth, diver 1 goes OOG, diver 2 donates. Who shoots the bag and who calls deco? I'd have 3 shoot the bag, but now who is in the best position to call the deco?

What depth are you shooting the bag from? If we send a bag up it's not usually before the 70' stop and by then everyone is back on their own gas.

According to my instructor, #3 should be shooting the bag and calling the deco. We did this exact drill with him on some training dives this past weekend. His rationale was that #3 isn't task-loaded at all- spooling the line should be a pretty simple task, so #3 should act as the reference for #1 and #2 by running the deco.

What depth are you shooting the bag from? If we send a bag up it's not usually before the 70' stop and by then everyone is back on their own gas.

Thanks, Brian. You make a good point for the deeper dives. Let's assume a longer 80-100' dive with O2.

This is asked in preparation for T1 in three weeks. Just trying to think through some of the issues we'll face (probably should have thought about these before now)

According to my instructor, #3 should be shooting the bag and calling the deco. We did this exact drill with him on some training dives this past weekend. His rationale was that #3 isn't task-loaded at all- spooling the line should be a pretty simple task, so #3 should act as the reference for #1 and #2 by running the deco.

I can definitely see the logic there. It does, however, force 1 and 2 (sharing gas) to have to attend to a different diver (3), which does seem more complicated than just having 1 and 2 watch each other (2 calling deco). Thoughts?

I can definitely see the logic there. It does, however, force 1 and 2 (sharing gas) to have to attend to a different diver (3), which does seem more complicated than just having 1 and 2 watch each other (2 calling deco). Thoughts?

I believe the logic was that following another diver's lead on when to ascend is simpler than attending to a timer/depth gauge. In this scenario, #2 is attending to #1 so they should not have to also attend to a depth gauge/timer. If #3 is running the deco, all #1 and #2 have to do is follow #3's lead. When #3 moves, everyone moves.

You are still a team first. 1 and 2 need to be aware of 3.

3 is in a great position to overwatch the two that are sharing gas and is most able to assist if something (else) goes wrong.

Since 1 and 2 are quite occupied, it only makes sense for 3 to call deco and handle the bag. HOWEVER, all team members need to be watching the clock and depth. We do not go on autopilot just because something went wrong during the dive.

I don't know; once #1 is stabilized on #2's long hose and the ascent is in progress, #2 really isn't doing anything except maintaining his position with respect to his teammates. He can easily call deco, and relieve the guy spooling up from having to juggle the spool and the timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom