New York Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judestudio

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all from New Zealand here...

I'll be visiting New York in mid-July, staying ~a week, would love to do some diving if I can. Practically speaking, is it worth brining my dive gear all the way, that is, any good diving spots instead of going to a Broadway musical? Any suggestions to charters I should be contacting for trips and stuff?

Cheers guys!

is this a loaded question? lol. july is the best month to dive here.
there are too many options to list. as far as gear, much can be rented.
will you be staying in manhattan? what is your skill level? novice, rec, tec?

I'm be coming for a conference at Hilton Hotel - central city I guess. I don't mind latching gear all the way, I prefer that actually so I can be comfortable in what I dive in, as long as it's worth it!

I'm a beginner lodged ~20 dives only. I've had a taste of wreck diving on the outside and got hooked (looking at doing a wreck specialty course soon, but that's not until later this year though). If there are any nice easy wrecks around the area (NY?) it'll be perfect. Any suggestions to good dive charters?

Hey, thanks all for replying!

I'm be coming for a conference at Hilton Hotel - central city I guess.

There are actually 3 Hilton Hotels in NYC (not counting all the other Hilton properties). Hilton New York (1335 Ave. Americas), Hilton Times Square (234 W42), Millenium Hilton (55 Church). If you're going to a conference, you're most likely at the Hilton New York in Midtown, but it might be good to figure out which one before you get in the taxi! :wink:

I'm be coming for a conference at Hilton Hotel - central city I guess. I don't mind latching gear all the way, I prefer that actually so I can be comfortable in what I dive in, as long as it's worth it!

I'm a beginner lodged ~20 dives only. I've had a taste of wreck diving on the outside and got hooked (looking at doing a wreck specialty course soon, but that's not until later this year though). If there are any nice easy wrecks around the area (NY?) it'll be perfect. Any suggestions to good dive charters?

Hey, thanks all for replying!

i dunno... nice easy wrecks. depends on who you talk too.
i think the closest boat to the city is the jeanne ii, Jeanne-II Schedule 2008
the stolt degali might be a good wreck for you. you can look up the wreck details on njscuba.net.
the two closest shops to you are probably villiage divers [nyc] and stingray divers [brooklyn].

i think the closest boat to the city is the jeanne ii,

That's probably close to your only option unless you're going to rent a car. Even via public transport, hauling gear will be a hassle. Even using subway, you'll need to cab it for a few minutes. If you do have a car, you can consider going one to two hours south down the New Jersey coast and that opens up a variety of options. (Though there's nothing at all wrong with the Jeanne II, so that is likely the most do-able for you.)

Scott

How long will you be in NY? Are you willing to travel? There are some great fresh water wrecks in the St. Lawrence..About 6 hrs or so from the city...depends alot on traffic...
:shakehead: six hours is too far away...

There are actually 3 Hilton Hotels in NYC (not counting all the other Hilton properties). Hilton New York (1335 Ave. Americas), Hilton Times Square (234 W42), Millenium Hilton (55 Church). If you're going to a conference, you're most likely at the Hilton New York in Midtown, but it might be good to figure out which one before you get in the taxi! :wink:
Looks like the Hiltons are doing well in NY! Yea, it's Hilton NY, just checked. Any good dive shops around for shopping? Leisure Pro is in the city, isn't it?

i think the closest boat to the city is the jeanne ii, Jeanne-II Schedule 2008
the stolt degali might be a good wreck for you. you can look up the wreck details on njscuba.net.
the two closest shops to you are probably villiage divers [nyc] and stingray divers [brooklyn].

That's probably close to your only option unless you're going to rent a car. Even via public transport, hauling gear will be a hassle. Even using subway, you'll need to cab it for a few minutes. If you do have a car, you can consider going one to two hours south down the New Jersey coast and that opens up a variety of options. (Though there's nothing at all wrong with the Jeanne II, so that is likely the most do-able for you.)

Scott
Ah! Thanks for both your replies. Will certainly look that up. But Scott thanks for pointing out about transportation. I'm used to driving here at home and didn't add that up with my NY trip. That certainly could be a problem. And no, I won't be driving when I'm there. So hopefully there are charters that I can access easily in the city and that they can provide transportations to the dive sites (do people do that in NY?).

E-mail Capt. Bill Reddan at the Jeanne II info@jeanne-ii.com

Let him know what you need and when you want to go diving. He will be your best bet for diving out of NY with your experience level. Be specific regarding equipment and suits. (I dont know what he has for rentals)

Getting to his boat is pretty easy too even from NYC by using the subway (train) --- Brooklyn is my old home town but im on the other side of the country now.

The Jeanne II is in Brooklyn, about a 40 min train ride from midtown Manhattan

Contact Jeanne-II

Capt. Bill is your best bet.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom