Frontier adds additional fees for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I read this thread as I am booking a trip to Florida in the next few days. I was going to book with Frontier and although I would beat their June 10th deadline, I will make a point to let them know I have chosen another carrier as their new scuba policy has just pissed me off.

Bruce

here are the emails in 'cut and past' format.

'dbrowning@flyfrontier.com'; 'smenke@flyfrontier.com'; 'pdempsey@flyfrontier.com'; 'ccollins@flyfrontier.com'; 'tchristie@flyfrontier.com'; 'gcoady@flyfrontier.com'; 'ablock@flyfrontier.com'; 'mhenry@flyfrontier.com'; 'hiden@flyfrontier.com'; lryan@flyfrontier.com

One address came back returned and I added another from an auto reply...
Earlier I said I hated these 'letters' but being able to send one to the CEO himself is different! haha!

Gear is compact enough now with light bc units and hoseless computer systems that packing it into a carry on is an easy thing to do. If you have to fly Frontier this may be one way around that system.

The policy seemed to indicate that it doesn't matter if the scuba gear was checked or carried on.
Did anyone else read the policy that way?

Unless I just got someone on a bad day they indicated any gear, checked or no = 100 dollars.

Someone ought to sue Frontier Airlines for such flagrant discrimination. Basically they have discriminated against scuba divers due to the gear associated with our activity even though we can travel well within the weight limits for a second bag. If they see scuba gear of any type, you are subject to the fee.

Who else travels with activity specific gear? What about bowlers? Skiers? Rodeo cowboys? Musicians? Any kind of performer, especially those who require costumes and props?

Frontier Airlines' discriminatory action toward scuba divers is selectively punitive. Every scuba diver charged the fee, and even those who could potentially be charged the fee, have suffered both financially and emotionally from the airlines' discriminatory policy. The irreparable damage to my self-esteem by being singled out among non-scuba diving passengers is beyond measure.

Any lawyers on this board? Let's file a class action lawsuit on behalf of the 200,000 diving members of ScubaBoard. Where's the ACLU when you need them?

I started this kind of tongue in cheek.......but now I'm not so sure it doesn't have some merit.

I sent the following today. I'll let everyone know the reply.

"I’m planning a trip this fall and I can’t seem to get a definite answer concerning the extra charge for ‘Scuba equipment” Is the $100 each way? Is the charge applicable if no tank is in the baggage? Usually all my equipment fits in one 40-45 pound bag, does the $100 fee apply? As you can see if there is a $200 round trip fee to go to Fla. You folks are quite a bit higher than everyone else.
Thanks for your attention to this"
Here is the answer I received.

"Frank:
I have cut/pasted the part from the baggage chart that applies to scuba equipment. I’m interpreting this to mean that if your ticket is purchased after June 10th, it will cost $100 each time you check in (or each way coming and going). If your tickets are purchased BEFORE June 10th and that’s ALL you check in or if it’s your second bag, it wouldn’t cost anything. As long as it isn’t too big or too heavy, then it would be subjected to the regular overweight/oversized fees of $50. I don’t think including or not including the tank matters – only in terms of extra weight.
I hope this helps – thanks for visiting us at frontierairlines.com.
Beki Pineda

Customer Relations"

But the short answer is: No more Frontier.

Thanks JChull for posting the emails addresses. Iwas hoping someone would do that! I will be firing off my letter ASAP! They finally realized Colorado typically has been rated the third largest per captia number of certified scuba divers in the US and most of us travel! What a rip off!!!!

Back
Top Bottom