Dive Report - Pt Lobos/Granite Pt - 31 May 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dive Report - Point Lobos/Granite Pt - 31 May 08

Team:
Matt V
Shaun
Ben V
Max depth: 80 FSW
Ave depth: 50 FSW
Duration: 80 Mins
Temp: 49F
Gas: 32% EAN
Vis: 50

Matt and I took Shaun (visiting from PNW) on a tour of the far side of Whalers cove... Granite Point. The conditions were absolutely dead still and with only the occasional breeze stirring up a ripple in the cove...

Picture_004_Medium_.jpg

Some of the divers took the opportunity to visit the saddle back in between the rocks... most times it is white water city in the shallows here

Picture_002_Medium_.jpg

Granite Point
Picture_001_Medium_.jpg

Oddly though there were very few divers there...
Picture_006_Medium_.jpg

Due to my inability to do math (3 scooters + 2 scooter batteries = ? scooter divers) we ended up with one person without a steed...

We made our way thru middle reef and past Granite Pt wall... accross the other sand channel and started checking out the amazing sheer walls and huge rocks. The vis was 40ft and a beautiful blue with kelp stalks and school of smaller blue rockfish hanging like clouds against a blue sky.

Shaun and Matt checking out the wall
Picture_012_Medium_.jpg

Matt looking for his bad dive buddy who's disappeared because he's taking pictures and not letting his team know where he is!
Picture_013_Medium_.jpg

My only clear Hydro Coral shot (yeah there's a lot more out there and a lot of it...)
Picture_019_Medium_1.jpg

I was soooo tempted to hit both my purges... does that make me a bad buddy??
Picture_022_Medium_1.jpg

We turned the dive at the 45 min mark and rinsed gear then off to lunch... Great day to dive... Epic!

More details and a map of the routing here MoCal-DIR.com

thanks for the report Ben. We were going to dive Lobos on Friday but got in too late. Looks like you had an awesome dive!

It was awesome... it's really nice to see the water that flat... Like Chuck says It's a go diving weekend..

Its always a go diving weekend :wink:.. just maybe go diving somewhere else.

Actually though its amazing how well these conditions have held recently. Makes me even more depressed that I have had to go up to NY for this conference.

damn, you get down there like once a month.

I am jealous as to how calm it was...

Sounds like a great dive, Ben. I have dove Lobos since January! At least I got some dives on the Yukon and Ruby E last weekend..

-eR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom