Milwaukee Car Ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I wanted to get some additional information about this wreck. I'll be diving it in July.

I've read it's 120' to the mud. Is the bottom mostly flat where it lies, or is one end deeper than the other? About what depths?

What's the average depth of a typical dive?

Pretty much upright, correct?

Does anyone know where the moorings are this year?

What's the general layout?

I know its a lot of questions. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Although I've only dove it twice, I'll give you a little information and those from that side of the lake can chime in and correct me.

120 to the bottom and mostly flat--correct, my wife and I averaged 100 or less for most of the wreck. there are a few places, the pilothouse if I remember correctly(it came of when the ship sank) where you might end up deeper than that.

Don't know where the moorings are this year but when we dove it, once last year and once the year before, there was one near both the bow and stern. I think at times there are even more moorings on the wreck.

Although I've only dove it twice, I'll give you a little information and those from that side of the lake can chime in and correct me.

120 to the bottom and mostly flat--correct, my wife and I averaged 100 or less for most of the wreck. there are a few places, the pilothouse if I remember correctly(it came of when the ship sank) where you might end up deeper than that.

Don't know where the moorings are this year but when we dove it, once last year and once the year before, there was one near both the bow and stern. I think at times there are even more moorings on the wreck.

Thanks, CB, The info is very appreciated. Any clue how far the pilothouse is from the main wreck?

Hi,

I'll have to see if I noted in my log, but as an imperfect measure -- it wasn't visible down the line the leads to it when we dived it, but not too far past vis, so perhaps 50-80 feet or so is my estimate.

On a single tank of air and in recreational NDL, we didn't do much beyond go to the wheelhouse and poke around, then come back up.

Cheers,
W

Yes, there's a line.

The wheelhouse wasn't visible at the other end when we did the excursion, but emerged from shadow to view pretty quickly as we followed the line.

Cheers,
W

There should be a line that runs to the pilot house.
The line is off the bow on the port side. I would estimate it's about 75' to the pilot house. The pilot house itself sits on the silt, so it is deeper than the rest of the wreck. As you approach the pilot house, there is a door on the left side that has the yellow letters that read "Milwaukee" above it. There is some debris scattered between the pilot house and the wreck that makes the journey back a little more interesting.

I dove on the Car Ferry this March- max depth was 110', average depth of the dive was 90'. We didn't penetrate much and stayed mostly on the deck. Water temp was 31f according to my Sensus Ultra??? Regardless, by July, it will probably warm up to the mid 40s/mid 50s.

I've always seen the photos with the Milwaukee lettering...

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure we'll make it to the pilothouse or not. I'll be diving with the wife, and she doesn't like feeling narc'd.

Tom

I've always seen the photos with the Milwaukee lettering...

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure we'll make it to the pilothouse or not. I'll be diving with the wife, and she doesn't like feeling narc'd.

Tom

Helium fixes that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom