Water Temps in Portofino, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going on a long weekend dive trip to Portofino with my local dive club.

Does anyone have an idea of what current water temps are...or a link to check them myself?

Planning on diving dry, but just trying to plan undergarments. I am driving, so will probably bring many options......

Hopefully it will be warmer thans the lakes here in Switzerland = dove last night and saw about 6 C at 30 meters (42-43F)

Thanks.

-Chris

In case anyone cares...

Water temps this past weekend in Santa Margherita/Portofino were in the 63F/~17C range.

Nice visibility = probably about 75 feet/23 meters.

Seas were somewhat rough - 3-6 foot waves. Diving was aboard large, hard-bottomed Zodiacs (back roll entry; reboard via ladder in the back of the boat). ~20-30 minute ride to the dive sites along the beautiful Liguria coast. The diving is all done in a marine sanctuary that hugs the coast (rocky, dramatic cliffs plunging straight down into the ocean).

The experience underwater was better than I expected (my first time there) = lots of octopus, morays, grouper, large schools of smaller fish that I can't identify, small caves & 1 large wreck (300+ feet long; there was probably some info on it in the briefing, but I can't speak Italian). The diving was pretty deep = the 5 dives we did ranged from 92-116 feet/28-35m. We came back to port between dives and went our for lunch - lots of great pasta & seafood everywhere we went!

Above water, the Santa Margherita/Portofino area is beautiful and air temps were in the 70s.

This diving was through the European Diving Center in Santa Margherita, which I would definitely recommend.

The European Dive in' Center

-Chris

Attachments

• More-Portofino-2.jpg
    More-Portofino-2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 112
  • More-fish-school-action.jpg
    More-fish-school-action.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Octopus-on-the-move.jpg
    Octopus-on-the-move.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 100
  • Rolf-inside-the-wreck.jpg
    Rolf-inside-the-wreck.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Beautiful-church-at-night.jpg
    Beautiful-church-at-night.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Added a few picks from the trip. The underwater shots are not the best in the world, but show the large numbers of fish, an octopus and a wreck dive shot...along with a few topside pics.

Enjoy.

Sounds like a nice trip Large........I will be diving in Sorrento next month and can't wait to get there.

Hi large diver
Your photo's gave me fond mermories of my dive in Portofino. Unfortunetly I managed only one dive and it was fantastic. We went to the "Pinncle". I went out with an outfit from Rapello called "Abyss". They where very good and professional. The area was fantastic and I went back there to visit Cinque Terra last summer. Last summer the weather was excellent but diving condition weren't good at all.
Take care
Bob Schneider

I am heading to Santa Margherita Ligure in 2 weeks to do some diving. I think it sounds like the water is warmer that I expected at temps in the 60's F. I cannot wait to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom