Blue Springs Quarry flooded out Sat 06-07-2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a group from Scuba Unlimited (Blue Ash, OH) there. I was to do cert. dives in my new dry suit. We waiting in the rain for the lightening to stop until about 11am then left to see about lunch and regrouping at 2:30. There was already about 10 inches of water in spots over the "road" to the east entries.

Well, the instructors got to the restaurant and hotel about 2 hours later. Apparently, two cars (OW students?) got flooded getting out of Waldron. Needless to say, the day's dives were cancelled to be tentatively rescheduled for the 21st. Sounds like that might be optimistic.

-Rob

So Rob, which SU instructors didn't have the cahones to call off that weekend? Good grief, the weather report alone should have given them a hint. What a waste of time for the students.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the amount of rain that actually fell, raising the stream to it's highest level since 1968. I was most shocked that an OW class from Indy returned on Sunday and dove among the floating portapotties and various debris with 0 vis.

I think Hoosier is right, the geo belongs to the quarry. Maybe now they can get more of the crap off the ground...like RV's that can't be used.
Still hate to see such damage done. I just hope that they try and repair.

So Rob, which SU instructors didn't have the cahones to call off that weekend? Good grief, the weather report alone should have given them a hint. What a waste of time for the students.

Heh.. When we were down there around 10am it was still pretty warm and the only thing that looked worrisome was the thunder and lightning. The storm system was actually not that large on the radar and was predicted to be moving east at about 35 mph.

Instead of moving, it hovered... and hovered... and rained 11inches in just a few hours.

It was insane and was NOT in any of the forecasts or the weather reports we were getting via teh internets at the site... :)

Keep in mind that the predictions for the day were still saying 2 inches of rain for the whole day as of 10:30am.

I like the SU instructors but I'm pretty sure none of them have psychic powers... Maybe Craig should look into getting a psychic on staff? :)

I was most shocked that an OW class from Indy returned on Sunday and dove among the floating portapotties and various debris with 0 vis.

:11::11::11::11::11::11::11::11::11:

What little that would be in the porta pots shouldn't be an issue. I would be more afraid of what was in the other water.

I like the SU instructors but I'm pretty sure none of them have psychic powers... Maybe Craig should look into getting a psychic on staff? :)

No, Craig doesn't have psychic powers and is actually a decent manager compared to his predecessor under the previous owner, but there is an instructor at SU who thinks he is a "gawd". Was just curious if it was him. I do have several friends who teach at SU....known them a long time.

Sounds like it might be a while before things get cleaned up and the water clears up again. If the river was flowing in, it probably washed all kinds of crap in there. Plus, the raw sewage...
Unfortunately it probably won't be decent for a while.

Gilboa was very nice this weekend though. 90* above water, 40* at the bottom.

oh man.. sounds rough out there. who wants to come visit in ca around october? :D

getting a solid plan going for dsiw people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom