Are prescription masks really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm -5.5 in one eye and -5.0 in the other. I believed uncorrected vision was fine for diving until our first ocean dive. Everyone was pointing at a shark and mantra ray, and all I saw was water, ;( The next day I hit this site for suggestions which led me to the Tusa Splendive IV (total under $200). Even my quarry experiences have been transformed.

Remember to use your Flexible Spending Account (FSA) as prescription diving masks are qualifying purchases.

I have worn prescription glasses since I was 4 years old and can confidently say that I am quite blind without them.
I don't dive with a prescription mask. I can read my gauges quite comfortably. Seeing life underwater though is fine. For all I know though, I may be missing a lot of the little critters.

Hope my info helps.

Maybe include your prescription because I doubt I'd see jack if I dove without my contacts. Either you are missing a LOT of cool stuff UW because you can't see, or you see better than you think. Reading gages right in front of your face is not a problem for a near sighted individual, you just don't see anything else very well at any distance! :D

You should really either get a prescription mask, or dive with contacts unless your prescription is like 20/40.

Can you wear contacts? If so, you don't need a prescription mask. :D

I am wearing some strange contacts that focus one eye closer to help with my aging eyes. I don't know how it works, but it works. I can see better closer, and still see far just fine in either eye.

If you can't or don't wear contacts, you need a prescription mask for anything other than the most mild prescriptions. There are a number of places that sell these, including online, and most dive shops.

Make sure before you put out the cash for a prescription mask that it fits well, and does not leak. The Mares X-Vision is a great mask, and I thought it fit me fine. However the Atomic frameless is the only mask I've owned that gives me mask squeeze! (That is a good thing BTW, one just clears it, but it means it fits perfectly).

Don't dive blind! It makes it a lot less fun, and I dive blinds sometimes because the vis here, can suck! :D

I can't see without a script mask. Not much anyway. Guages are fuzzy and arms not long enough, critters get blurry, concrete block looks like a grouper. With my script mask I can literally count the tiles in the pool at 40 feet underwater and they are 1 inch tiles.

I've had a prescription mask since I was about 14, I think. It makes a world of difference, but then again, I can't see anything at arm's length without glasses and farther away is just laughable...

I would definitely get one if you think you may need it. Kind of like a good mattress, nice shoes, and comfortable pillows... there are some things in life just worth spending a little extra on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom