Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps. But this fool will not be fooled into throwing away money in shops like yours.
You know nothing about my shop. You don't even know where it is. You don't know what I sell. You don't know what the business level is. You don't know what the ratio of repeat business is to new business. You don't know what customers feel about my shop. In short, you know very little but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of noise about it.

How can you make such a ridiculous statement?

You know nothing about my shop. You don't even know where it is. You don't know what I sell. You don't know what the business level is. You don't know what the ration of repeat business is to new business. You don't know what customers feel about my shop. In short, you know very little but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of noise about it.

Quite easy, really. You told me all I needed to know. Any shop that will turn away a potential customer because that customer purchased gear from some other shop needs to be put out of business for the good of other shops and all divers.

You know nothing about my shop. You don't even know where it is. You don't know what I sell. You don't know what the business level is. You don't know what the ratio of repeat business is to new business. You don't know what customers feel about my shop. In short, you know very little but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of noise about it.

And you don't know anything about awap, you don't know what he does for a living, or even his real name. Yet that didn't stop you from calling him names because you cannot hang with him on a debate.

If you cost the time of a technician, the cost of his on-going training, his tools and accommodation, you'll see that many "quick" jobs will incur a heavy charge. No more "quickly swapping out a hose" for no cost other than for the hose itself - how does $30 labour sound?

It sounds like I'm saving even more money that I had thought by taking care of those kinds of trivial tasks myself. :wink:

Without question, the current trend will continue and ALL small dive shops will vanish. The ones that remain will be in large centers of population where there is enough business for them. They will stock far fewer different items. And of course, only at one of these few remaining LDSs or a resort will you be able to buy anything at all, including air. That'll be the only place to rent tanks. If this is how you want it to be then fine, but it'll be this way regardless.

That's the second time you suggested the high volume etailers carry a more limited selection. Maybe it's ignorance on your part, but last I checked these places carried far more brands than the average LDS.

Maybe it's different in England, where I live I could still get air from various dive sites even if every shop closed it's doors.

I can think of several inland dive sites in the US which no longer have any air fill facilities. Do you not know how fast dive shops have been closing in the US? Every week I get emails from liquidators (I'm registered with them) offering me equipment at knockdown prices because yet another shop has folded. There are numerous US dive boats currently laid up because the owners have ceased trading and can't find anyone to buy them.

I give up. Think what you want, I really don't care. Live in your own private world while the scuba industry collapses around you.

There is no need to bash each other here. we are all into the same sport/recreation and have a great deal in common. If I wanted to hear this kind of noiz I would stay on the mac vs pc sites.

can't we all just get along?...... cough cough.

That's half of it. The other half is it has to be competitive to be profitable. If it is not competitive, let it go away and make room for a good shop.

So, in order to be good, you have to be the cheapest? Moreover, it's the outlets that are selling below MAP that are causing this issue to begin with. I don't expect to be ripped off anymore than anyone else.

I can also give you dozens of instances where consumers come into our shop for the advice and expertise, take hours of time shopping, asking questions and gathering vital information regarding products, only to buy from the lowest bidder. These same consumers will be back weeks later to have gear assembled, bench tested and repaired prior to use because of the inferior merchandise they have purchased.

There is nothing inherently inferior about a product bought on line, that's FUD. If people buy garbage it is from a lack of research. As far as customers coming back to have stuff fixed/tested just charge them for it, heck raise your prices on that.

If people are so sure the whole SCUBA industry is going to die because of the online stores then LDSs need to change their business model because people aren't going to pay MSRP when they don't have to.

Would it be that difficult to stock demo models and set up drop shipping arrangements with manufacturers or major online retailers? I know people in other industries who already do that to keep up with cheaper costs. You wouldn't be selling at Leisurpro's price but you could sell cheaper and have more customers likely to work with you.

And no, you don't have to be the cheapest but being the most expensive isn't going to help either.

I don't know what the problem is. It doesn't have to be either or else.
I found bargains at my local shops. In two instances my LDS did better than I could have done online. I just bought a Delta 4 FDX10 from my LDS for significantly less than LP, Scuba.com or Scubatoys website price (even after a further forum user 10% discount)
Last year the same LDS matched the best web price for a VT3 computer.
The LDS is a authorized dealer and I get service from them. They even surviced another reg set I bought from another authorized dealer under warranty. No problem just showed my receipt from the first dealer.
I've purchased training through them. Usually when they run specials or discount specialties of the month.
I give my LDS the opportunity to compete unless the web price is beyond their reach (why waste their time)
Finally I've traveled with them on dive trips.
I consider myself a good customer and I think and hope they feel the same way.
I do however shop and purchase gear online.
I don't believe in a free ride for anyone. So I try to save myself as much of my had earned cash as possible and expect that when the operators of my LDS make purchases they operate in a similar fashion.

Back
Top Bottom