Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone stayed at Amy Slate's recently? How are the rooms? And the dive operation? I'm going there next month and I'm wondering what I'm in for. I found some reviews but they were old. Has anyone been there recently?

Tx.
WW

I'm not going to go public and say that operation is bad.

But I will say that there are other excellent operations right in that area.

Just sayin'.

We went friday (06-06-08) as a last minute deal. (our original charter said the seas were too high for him and cancelled)

We had 0 issues diving with them. Dove the Spiegel Grove and the French Reef..
Had a great time.

Would use them again..

Never been there, but just dove with Silent World Dive Shop in Key Largo this past Sat and Sun, and I cannot say enough great things about the shop...The experience for me was top-notch...great service, dive boats not cattle boats with snorkelers, and chose appropriate dive sites for the skill levels of divers....In addition, Jen at the shop helped me solve my fitting problem with my brand new Aqualung Diva XLT, and Pat, who I hired as a guide b/c I did not have a buddy was phenomal...in 2 days she got me from 26 lbs of lead in Cozumel to 10 lbs by end of 2 days and I had 8 amazing dives, even in rougher seas than normal and lower viz for that area....Can't speak for elsewhere, because my first trip to the keys....but this dive shop has my business as soon as I can plan another trip...

We went friday (06-06-08) as a last minute deal. (our original charter said the seas were too high for him and cancelled)

We had 0 issues diving with them. Dove the Spiegel Grove and the French Reef..
Had a great time.

Would use them again..

Did you only dive with them or did you stay there too?

Has anyone stayed at Amy Slate's recently? How are the rooms? And the dive operation? I'm going there next month and I'm wondering what I'm in for. I found some reviews but they were old. Has anyone been there recently?

Tx.
WW

My son and I stayed there in April. The rooms are older so they are not the Hilton. The rooms are not bad they just probably need to be updated at some time. But I love the staff at Amoray. Jessica is really helpful in the shop and all of the boat crew are top notch.

Never been there, but just dove with Silent World Dive Shop in Key Largo this past Sat and Sun, and I cannot say enough great things about the shop...The experience for me was top-notch...great service, dive boats not cattle boats with snorkelers, and chose appropriate dive sites for the skill levels of divers....In addition, Jen at the shop helped me solve my fitting problem with my brand new Aqualung Diva XLT, and Pat, who I hired as a guide b/c I did not have a buddy was phenomal...in 2 days she got me from 26 lbs of lead in Cozumel to 10 lbs by end of 2 days and I had 8 amazing dives, even in rougher seas than normal and lower viz for that area....Can't speak for elsewhere, because my first trip to the keys....but this dive shop has my business as soon as I can plan another trip...

Well said ... I've been using Silent World every weekend for the past month and would recommend them to anyone. In fact, I went with them last Saturday morning, but I wasn't on the same boat with you and Pat. She helped my girlfriend a few weeks ago with buoyancy issues and you're right that she can help you use much less weight. :D

I would have to say that there are far better operators in Key Largo. I would suggest Silent World or Quiescence. Check with both of the places as they usually have a deal going with one of the local motels.

Stayed and dived with them last November for the first and last time. I'm not crazy about the rooms nor the pontoon dive/snorkel boat either. I've moved up to Conch Republic down the road. I liked it so much more that I extended my last stay there and am going back next weekend and taking the Daytona Beach Dive Club with me. Take the advice of those who have stayed at other places and dived with other operators and you'll get better choices. I did not have a good experience while I was at Amoray, nor did some of the other club members, so we moved up.

Another great operator - a 6 pack located behind the Holiday Inn - is HMS Minnow - very professional.

We were down for a weekend a year or 2 ago; I thought the rooms were expensive for the accomodations provided but nothing bad to say about the operation.

I do 2nd the comment that there are better dive operations - mentioned in this thread - and better accomodations. And every operator mentioned has hotel packages to go with the diving. I would never say don't go there; just that there are - IMO - better options.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom