Fusion Sizing - Err Tight or Loose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing a Fusion drysuit, and my measurements put me right in between the L/XL and the 2XL/3XL. Can't remember the exact measurements, but I remember where each of them fell on the Fusion size chart.

Height = 2XL/3XL (6' 3")
Weight = L/XL (197 pounds)
Chest = L/XL
Waist = Between L/XL and 2XL/3XL
Buttocks = Between L/XL and 2XL/3XL
Crotch to Floor = Between L/XL and 2XL/3XL

So... should I err on the side of the suit being a bit tight or being a bit loose? I had an opportunity to try on the 2XL/3XL (they didn't have the L/XL in stock). It didn't feel ridiculously baggy, but it definitely didn't fit as streamlined as I've seen in pictures (I was wearing street clothes... not diving underwear). I talked to Mike at "Dive Right In Scuba," and he apparently has a similar build to mine and uses the L/XL. Apparently the only time he notices it's a bit small is when he bends over (a bit tight in the crotch).

What would your recommendations be given what I've described above?

Mark

You are in a bit of a pickle...

It is hard to say... My first thought was the 2xl/3xl becuse of your height... I am 5'11" and I wear a L/XL and I do not think I would want to wear that if I was over 6'. That being said though it has a little more to do with the Crotch to floor measurement than total height. Where are you located at? If you are anywhere close to Mike I would say go in and try one on. Obviously you would have done that by now though if you could, since you have tried the 2xl/3xl. You may want to try that 2xl/3xl again with your undergarments on and see how it fits. One of the major benifits of the Fusion is that it is nice and snug against your body. If it is baggy then you lose that...

Phil

I am 5'9" tall and ended up in the 2XL/3XL as the legs in the XL were a bit too tight below the knee to let the legs go all the way into the boots with undergarments on.

The extra lenght is not an issue with the spandex or neoprene tech skin. The only thing I have noted is that the extra leg material, creates a little bit of floatiness in the legs even though the skin keps it streamlined. As a result the OMS slipstreams got replaced by the pulled back out of retirement Jet fins. There is also a bit more bladder in the chest area than woudl be the case one size down, but again the skin keeps it under control.

All in all, I'd rather go larger and preserve the freedom of movement than go smaller and give it up. Unlie most drysuits, you don't end up with loads of extra drag if the suit is a bit too big.

good reply
i'm around 5'9" and fat, so i was wondering if i'd even be able to get into a whites fusion suit without it being like a massive dress

I'm 6'0", 170 lbs and a L/XL fits me snugly with thick undergarments on (fleece baselayer, and then Whites Mk2). Based on how the L/XL fits me, being 3 inches taller and 27 lbs heavier than me, I'd be inclined to recommend the 2XL/3XL for you.

Thanks everybody.

I tried the 2XL/3XL again last night with a full pair of underwear. That made a fair bit of difference and convinced me to stick with the 2XL/3XL.

Appreciate your replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom