A C-Card w/out OW cert. dives??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought for a second maybe he was handing out a PADI "Scuba Diver" certification but even that requires 2 OW dives... Somebody is REALLY violating standards...

Big Ditto on reporting him.

Last edited:
Report him. A written complaint goes a lot further than any phone call ever will. I would explain my training from the past and then explain what you know has happened now.

Many times the students don't know what the certification process involves and then after they get a card find out that standards have been violated. At that point they usually don't pursue reporting as they got what was wanted - a c-card.

I am also confused by who is going to be diving with the child. Is it the child's parents or neighbors? I read it two ways that the parents, neighbors, friends are all the same people and then read it as they are different. This would scare the h*** out of me, even more than a non-certified 11 yr old diving.

SEND AN EMAIL, OR EVEN BETTER A LETTER TO THE AGENCY. STOP THIS GUY NOW. HAVE A HEART TO HEART WITH THE FRIENDS.

Is there no US equivalent to the British HSE? The Health and Safety Executive is a government agency that has real teeth and isn't afraid to use them. In Britain I would report this idiot to them, and they wouldn't mess with any recreational dive certification agency (most of which they despise) but they would withdraw his license to operate. If there had already been offences committed they wouldn't hesitate to prosecute (they will do that for a first offence if it's serious enough) but they would "get the guy off the streets" first.

The US equivalent is OSHA, but it doesn't have a fraction of the power, resources and determination of HSE.

I have reported several bad instructors to their agencies, and I think I can truthfully say that nothing of consequence happened to any of them. That's recreational agencies, who are really in just for the money. Some of the tech bodies are concerned with standards more than money, and they WILL act.

Thanks to all of you. He's been reported via email. Yes, scubadale, I did indeed explain my previous experience and the current one. My friends took the class with their son, but they are not going to Mexico with their pre-teen son. Their neighbor, already certified and in with this instructor, is the guy taking their son to Mexico. The parents will not be going. Scary as hell! I'm afraid to think what is says that the person taking their son to Mexico is the one that got the class organized for this instructor to teach. :11: OMG! I've stressed to mom, but I get the feeling she thinks I'm over reacting and I told her it would take less than 30 feet for her son to embolize. (The neighbot promised not to take him deeper than 30 feet).

I would certainly report the instructor. A true violation.

It doesn't sound like you are an instructor nor insured. I wouldn't help the family at all. God forbid if something ever happened. You can assume by the evidence you presented, that this instructor has not properly trained these divers. Why assume they would be ready to work with you.

If your friend thinks you are over-reacting, I would email her this thread. Getting in the water, at any depth, without the proper training is an accident waiting to happen. Why someone would be so cavalier with their young child is BEYOND me. Actually makes me mad to think about it.

jcf

Embolism can occur in less than 4 feet of water, drowning can occur in less than that. How much effort will the neighbor go thru to save a panic 11 yr old who has only been diving in a swimming pool? What boats in Cozumel are going to limit all the divers on the boat to 30 feet to accommodate the 11 yr old?

Tell the mom that you are going to let the 11 yr old start driving your car around and that you will make sure he does not exceed 30 mph. Surely he has played enough video games to be able to drive.:shakehead:

Playing devils advocate here. Are you sure he issued a C card? Could he have been doing a referal class, I see your posting from kentucky. Perhaps the family did not want to do their open water dives in the local lake or quarry, and simply chose to do the classroom and poolwork locally and refer the open water portion of the course to warmer mexican waters?

Is there no US equivalent to the British HSE? The Health and Safety Executive is a government agency that has real teeth and isn't afraid to use them. In Britain I would report this idiot to them, and they wouldn't mess with any recreational dive certification agency (most of which they despise) but they would withdraw his license to operate. If there had already been offences committed they wouldn't hesitate to prosecute (they will do that for a first offence if it's serious enough) but they would "get the guy off the streets" first.

The US equivalent is OSHA, but it doesn't have a fraction of the power, resources and determination of HSE.

I have reported several bad instructors to their agencies, and I think I can truthfully say that nothing of consequence happened to any of them. That's recreational agencies, who are really in just for the money. Some of the tech bodies are concerned with standards more than money, and they WILL act.

No equivalent at all. The scuba industry is completely unregulated in the US.

Yes unfortunately their are rare I do not call them Instructors but CARD ISSUERS that give the Dive Industry BLACK EYE and this has been done at All Levels..When I was working in Mexico lots of BLACK DIVEMASTER CARDS where the person could NOT DIVE at beginner level but had professional card their BUDDY GAVE THEM...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom