Just ordered my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smelly

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just ordered my first gear today. Im pretty excited to try it out. Tell my what you think
Or let me know what i should change, since i could change it.
I ordered ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD with Air2, Scubapro MK16+/G250HP, Aladin PRIME 3 computer. I will be diving mostly in Monterey, Ca. My only concern about the setup is the weight. What I understand is it can hold 30lbs And when I got certified i used 40lbs. My LDS was telling me that I did not need that much weight. I am 5'11'' and 225 lbs .

You picked some good products. 40 pounds does seem like a lot of weight.

Thanks, I did change my package a bit, I got the MK17 with the G250V reg. I cant wait to break in the equipment. And the weight system i looks like I wont have any problems. And I got the whole package for $1099.99. And I found out today I will be a FATHER!!

Thanks, I did change my package a bit, I got the MK17 with the G250V reg. I cant wait to break in the equipment. And the weight system i looks like I wont have any problems. And I got the whole package for $1099.99. And I found out today I will be a FATHER!!

Congratulations on being a Daddy first, second on your gear.

Congrats on two fronts there. You got some really good gear there and good news too!

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition. I have a 2 year old and a 3 week old. It's a great feeling. Try and wait for it to be born to find out what it is. We did with both. Like the idea of a true surprise and people guessing what it is and why.

You picked some good products. 40 pounds does seem like a lot of weight.

You're 5'11" and 225#, I'm 6' 240# I dive a 7mm suit with 26# weights, in fresh water and the same in a 3mm suit in salt water, and I probably could drop a couple of those pounds.
See how you'll do with 24#. first. Work on your weighting in a familar environment with the equiptment that you have purchased. If you can submerge with the 24# then try to lighten your load by using drop weights. remember your tank (if an AL80) will add positive bouancy towards the end of your dive. If you are able to use a tank with 500 psi this would be the best way to weight yourself properly.

5'11 and 207. With a 2 mil suit I use 12 pounds. Just a skin I can drop to 10 pounds. With a 3 mil I use 14 pounds. All in salt. I had an instructor once that was bigger then I was and dove with no weights!!! Go figure!!

For diving in your area you will be in a full blown 7mm wetsuit and probably have 2X on the core. Without knowing what your cylinder will be or your personal body make-up I'd guess that your weight need will be in the low to mid 30s, especially as you get started.

Having said that, weight is not just about gross numbers but placement as well. Of the 40 pounds I would not get 8 #5 weights. Rather something like 4 #5, 4 #3 and 4 #2 weights. this will give you something to work with as you fine tune the total weight and placement for trim.

Regarding placement I would consider putting the bulk of your weight on a belt. This keeps it on your person in the event that you need to get out of your rig underwater. It also keeps your BC from becoming a heavy obnoxious pig of a thing.

I would not dive without an analog SPG and a compass.

Lastly this can be debated endlessly but I am partial to a dedicated alternate second and simple inflater. Some old thoughts can be read here.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom