• On the wrist

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Clipped to a slate/bc/harness/other

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • What's a compass?

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Left wrist, next to my computer

Dangling things like retractors and string are unnecessary, they are great at getting caught and bashing coral; they don't last and really are just a waste on money. The idea of being underwater is to be streamlined and have nothing dangling from your kit.

Left wrist.

As has been said, streamline. Get rid of the "danglies". They are entaglement hazards, annoying to search for and at greater risk of damage (both to instruments and "creatures").

Besides, easier access (wrist), allows for more frequent/enjoyable use.

Compass and Computer Right Wrist, so my left hand is free for manipulating bcd valve, this config I can more easily watch my computer for descents/ascents, and also to keep my spear hand free zeN||

Keep it on my right wrist, along with my backup dive watch/depth guage/bottom timer. This way I can view direction and for how long. Left hand is free for main computer (on retractor) and trim. Works for me :)

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

On the left wrist.

One of the benefits of wearing a compass on either your left or right wrist is that the compass is directly in front of your line of vision, and thus you tend to reference it more often. Over time this allows you to develop the ability to mentally track the compass bearings you've followed and find your way back after turning the dive. You become proficient with navigating using the compass.

When the compass is in a console or on a retractor, in a pocket, whatever...you tend not to look at it as often. Unless you need it for some reason, you may not look at it at all.

You therefore are less likely to develop the ability to use it with any real degree of proficiency.

This obviously may not hold true for all who use retractors, etc. ...but in general holds true for most.

Left wrist, depth guage and tables on right. Back up computer in left thigh pocket just in case...

Left wrist... computer is beside it angled downward so that if I'm finning in the 'left hand on right elbow' position, the compass side window and my computer are aligned and all my info is displayed at once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom