I was almost a Darwin Award candidate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe me, once we hauled his limp, pathetic torso onto the boat we started suggesting water wings like the kiddies wear. He was appropriately humiliated, but not before a seven year old girl on the boat with her parents asked him why he got in the water if he didn't know how to swim. I still laugh when I remember hearing her say that. :)
The times we wish we had our digital camera set to video and running. :11:

This is the inflatable vest I often wear on moving boats when no one else wears anything that could assist if they fell overboard. I do not care how dumb I look; I care that I have better possibilities in case of a slip or boat accident. In less than two months I hope to be snorkeling with whale sharks west of Cancun, and they do not require you to wear a PDF if you wear neoprene wetsuit, I don't think - but I'll be the one in one of these as well....
[c]
AKNSVJ.JPG

[/c]
Oh yes, I can swim. Snorkeled and free dived many a times without one before I wised up.

Many years ago circa 1985...I became friendly with a bunch of astronauts that were hanging in Florida post Challenger accident (Normally they stay in Houston). Well one of the astronaut's parents lived in West Palm and the father had a small boat so we decided to get father to ferry us out for some diving. Well it was rough and viz really sucked...but me with all my "instructor wisdom" decided to check out conditions first hand. Here I go jumping off the boat, mask only...no fins checking things out...well I forgo I had my weight belt on...16# over 4# negative...I proceeded to sink quite rapidly. I somehow kept my cool and struggled back to the surface...so embarrassed...I think the father tossed me a line. We got back and astronaut friend proceeded to drink heavily

Maybe 12 lbs wouldn't make me plummet to the depths, but 12 pounds and no fins or neoprene (I was in Bonaire) struck me as an accident waiting to happen. If I had actually made it over the side like planned, the tone of my post may have been a little less tongue in cheek.

I posted this little tale to bring out two points.
1. Take your weightbelt off when on the boat because you never know when you are getting back in the water, planned or unplanned. Of course weight belts are going the way of the dodo with new BCDs. But don't join the dodo if you still wear a weight belt.
2. If you are snorkeling in the deep blue, don't take anything negative into the water unless you are ready to let it go if you get tired.

This is laugh out loud funny....not the personal embarrasments but your play with words. If you're not a writer or a comedian, you have missed your true calling. Thanks for giving me a great start to my Saturday. :)

I think as long as you were going into the water intentionally you would have been fine.
As you jumped in you would have taken a deep breath, so you would have had some time, and when you hit the water your belt would have moved, and I'm thinking you'd have noticed it.

I think as long as you were going into the water intentionally you would have been fine.
As you jumped in you would have taken a deep breath, so you would have had some time, and when you hit the water your belt would have moved, and I'm thinking you'd have noticed it.
Then the crew could have thrown you a line - after they finished laughing and shooting pics. :lol2:

If you are properly weighted the weight belt is mostly (but not completely of course) there to compensate for your wetsuit. You would only have been a few lbs negative and you can easily stay on the surface with that.

Exactly.

Maybe 12 lbs wouldn't make me plummet to the depths, but 12 pounds and no fins or neoprene (I was in Bonaire) struck me as an accident waiting to happen.

Was the 12 lbs to compensate for a wetsuit that you didn't have on? If not, then why'd you need that much?

Was the 12 lbs to compensate for a wetsuit that you didn't have on? If not, then why'd you need that much?
I wear more than that without neoprene in saltwater - with my body, big BC, etc. Some of us do.

Back
Top Bottom