Lobster Mini Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I just realized that mini season for me starts 55,190 minutes from now. I personally won't eat 'em, but this one does.

Attachments

• Mojo 05-25-2006 (104).jpg
    Mojo 05-25-2006 (104).jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 94
I refuse to dive mini season. Every yahoo from anywhere U.S.A. is out there trying to catch a lobster. I have had much success on a scooter at sunrise the morning after opening night, not catching bugs, but recovering hundreds of dollars worth of gear left behind by the super talented night divers after their bounty. I wait patiently until season officially opens and then, when I see a bug I might take him, but I leave mini season to the "experts".

Couldnt agree more chipmon, Its nice that the season opens soon but I also think the mini season is for the pros :rofl3: . Every law enforcement officer in the keys gets a good warm-up for the upcoming season.

I leave mini season to the "experts".

Experts? Mini-season is the diving equivalent of whacking day, except with dumber people. This is why most area dives shops have death pools on how many divers will die in these two days. I think the over/under this year is 6.

I don't even live in FL, and I've been there several times in the past few years during mini season! I don't dive it....

...then again, I'm not much of a Loooobster catcher as I'm never anywhere when in season.

Can someone explain mini-season to me and how/why it differs from the regular lobster season?

Lucky kitty!!!

I've been down right before mini-season (left the night before) and it's a major cluster-*******!

I liken it to New Years Eve...AMATUER NIGHT! (I won't go out that night either...I was in a band years back and couldn't drink while playing, and the crap I noticed on my drives home would chill your ____!

Hello Drew0930,

Mini season is a two day mini sportsman season for catching legal sized nonegg baring lobsters. This year the days are July 30th and 31st. It is always the last consecutive Wed and Thru in July in any year. Mini season limits are 6 per person per day except in Palm Beach County which is 12 per person per day. Opening day is always August 6th in any year and limits are 6 per person per day throughout the entire season in the entire state.

For the full story and rules go to this link Lobster Information

Experts? Mini-season is the diving equivalent of whacking day, except with dumber people. This is why most area dives shops have death pools on how many divers will die in these two days. I think the over/under this year is 6.

HAHA!
mini-season=whacking day
I love it

Couldnt agree more chipmon, Its nice that the season opens soon but I also think the mini season is for the pros :rofl3: . Every law enforcement officer in the keys gets a good warm-up for the upcoming season.

Actually, Those of us in the public safety organizations are concerned about the frenzie, and saddened by the deaths. This is why 2 years ago we joined forces to form the Florida Keys Safe Dive Initiatve to educate the public and to promote safe dive practices. Unfortunatly mini-season is not going away and we can not protect people from themselves, the best we can do is continue to put the mesage out and hope that a little sinks in. For info check out our web page www.divealive.org .

safedives
trtldvr
chairman FKSDI
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom