Unmoored shipwrecks in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what the current google earth plugin from the OUC shows, but its a great resource as well.

it is a great resource and there are many out there. The NTD web page, Divercity, there is a parks Canada report by Johnathn Moore, books by Cris Kohl, and the marine musuem. there are others too I am sure I am missing. Just all the information needs to be accessable and in one spot. I know there is lots of information at the marine musuem and I am sure they could have a small spot about the diving in and around Kingston. with the huge amount of information though it would have to start off small and build upon successes. There was a small wreck survey done in a shallow wreck in Navy bay a few weeks ago collecting the final reporst and adding to the very well known wrecks and continuely building upon the information moving forward should be a goal of divers and the city. I do not think the city realizes what it is missing out on and what is below the water. There are parts of the waterways that had munitions dumped in it after WWI and WWII that have never been cleaned up. Then agian I am sure the city knows how polluted the inner harbour is and really has not been motivated to clean it up.

You may not know it but the community as a whole at Ontario Diving has come up with the idea of diver guides.

The member became active and wrote different guides to quiet a few dive sites all over Ontario including Kingston.
The dive sites are separated into boat and shore dives and everyone is more than welcome to download them and use as a dive site info and guide. As OD is a no-alias board, the only requirement is that people use no aliases when registering.
This is an example of the guide to the Marine Museum in Kingston. They are made in pdf format.
The diver guides are hosted by NTD free of charge and this is another way that NTD and Ontariodiving are actively promoting and supporting the diving community in Ontario without trying to take any credit for it until now.
I only posted it to let you guys know that there is not only a list but people took the time to sit down and write something that really contributes to the community as a whole.

FWIW, the guides also promote SOS and POW.

As a member of POW I am going to be pushing towards getting a data base set up and accessable for Kingston area wrecks much like the one on the SOS home page. To much politcs is going on with the wrecks. I know for the past couple years POW did nothing and it is ironic that some of the harshest critics of POW now have run it in the past. The mandidate for POW is to preserve the area wrecks with education and proper mooring lines (not attached to the wrecks) some are some are not and we are in the process of trying to get everything off them for obvious reasons. More wrecks are always good as I am sure everyone agrees. The moorings must be done properly so that means proper blocks, allowing the coast guard to know where the mooring floats are, and site surveys. Kingston is blessed with many wrecks and hopefully there will be some very interesting ones moored and have site studies done shortly. Certian ones that have great historical signifance have been asked to be held off of (like war of 1812 ships) until site surveys can be completed and proper blocks put there so damage will not be done to the wrecks. I know this would go alot quicker with less bickering in the area. kingston area is moving ahead slowly and any volenteers will help with site serveys and have ideas for mooring blocks is appreciated. Any volenteering is appreciated.

have a good look at who's doing what now that the smoke has cleared and stepping up to help out. I don't have a degree in Math only in Admistration and I know the numbers. From what I am seeing GLUE has stepped again to make Kingston a better place to dive. What have you done lately?

well I sit on the board at POW in which we try to put out mooring for all of Kingston charters and business. POW does not have commercial interest in the mooring the wrecks such as a store or charter operation. I try to permote all KIngston diving to freinds coming to the area and visiting military dive clubs. Diving for me is a past time i could spend more time in it but it is just recreational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom